What is the first sentence from the book you are currently reading?

Book and author?

“My childhood came to a virtual halt when I was around five years old.”

Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression, by Mildred Armstrong Kalish.

Absalom, Absalom! - William Faulkner

The cover art on this book, by the way

is reminiscent of a Straight Dope book.

Yes, it is! And thanks, silenus.

“Two middle-aged spies are sitting in an apartment in the Christian Quarter, sipping tea and lying courteously to each other, as evening approaches.”

A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal, by Ben MacIntyre

“On an early morning in mid-August, EPA Special Agents Tim Singewald and Lenox Baker left the Region 8 Environmental Protection Agency building at 1595 Wynkoop Street in downtown Denver in a Chevrolet Malibu SA hybrid sedan they’d checked out from the motor pool.”

Breaking Point, by C.J. Box, Joe Pickett series book #13.

“Take care to chop the onion fine.”

Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies, by Laura Esquivel, translated by Carol Christensen and Thomas Christensen.

“The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.”

Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked this Way Comes

“Nate Romanowski pushed the drift boat onto the Bighorn River at three-thirty in the morning on a Sunday in early October and let the silent muscle of the current pull him away from the grassy bank.”

Stone Cold, by C.J. Box. Book #14 in the Joe Pickett series

“His name was Major Cadmann Jacob Weyland, and this was his last stand.”

Starborn & Godsons, by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Steven Barnes.

“Everyone had had it with James Buchanan, his endless equivocations, his bureaucratic mind, his melodrama, his lack of vision, the way he let things get so out of control, the way in which it seemed impossible for him to, in fact, regain control, his plodding, doddering, aimless oldness in a nation obsessed with direction and youth.”

-The Worst President: The Story of James Buchanan, by Garry Boulard

When, from 2014 to 2016, riots in places like Ferguson, Baltimore, Milwaukee, or Charlotte captured our attention, most of us thought we knew how those segregated neighborhoods, with their crime, violence, anger, and poverty came to be.

The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America by Richard Rothstein

As somebody who overuses commas, even I am impressed by seeing ten of them in a single sentence.

And there should be 11. They missed one after “poverty”.

“I first encountered Frances Glessner Lee’s dioramas as a young doctor in 2003, when I traveled to Baltimore to interview for a position at the Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.”

18 Tiny Deaths: The Untold Story of Frances Glessner Lee and the Invention of Modern Forensics — by by Bruce Goldfarb (Author), Judy Melinek (Introduction)

It’s been interesting seeing how this book, The Poisoner’s Handbook, which I read last year, and The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, which I read at the end of last year, all cover the same period in history and detail different aspects of the growth of medical science.

I found her thirty miles north of Oakland at Sears Point – the international raceway, to be exact, where headstrong car freaks of all sexes liked to hang out before the war.

Pulling Through, by Dean Ing

A nuke war story with a few related essays – sort of a combination of Pat Frank’s two books, Alas, Babylon and How to Survive the H-Bomb – and Why.

“This is how the birth of the eel comes about: it takes place in a region of the northwest Atlantic Ocean called the Sargasso Sea, a place that is in every respect suitable for the creation of eels.”

The Book of Eels, by Patrik Svensson

“When Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett received the call every parent dreads, he was standing knee-deep in thick sagebrush, counting the carcasses of sage grouse.”

Endangered, by C.J. Box

“A murder case is like a tree.”

The Law of Innocence, by Michael Connelly

“The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance agent promised to fly from Mercy to the other side of Lake Superior at three o’clock.”

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

“I will die on this world.”

Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden