What is the Greatest Disparity in Coolness of Former Bandmates?

In a conversation the other day, Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel each came up- leading to a “Can you believe those two were actually in a band together” moment.

Which took the discussion into “What is the greatest disparity in Coolness of former bandmates?”

Significant disparity in Coolness between Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel.

The other good example we came up with is Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck.

What are other good examples? Two former bandmates, one totally lame and the other super cool?

Not sure if these are great examples as all 4 were quite successful post the band they were in.

However, IMHO Peter Gabriel and Jeff Beck are both super cool and the others are not exactly lame but certainly not in the super cool category.

John Lennon and Ringo Starr. That’s a bit unfair, because Ringo Starr really is pretty cool. But John Lennon is John Lennon.

Dave Mason and Mama Cass Elliot. Even at the time it was commented on what a strange pairing that was (though their album isn’t bad). As far as coolness, Mason had gained a lot after Alone Together, while, at the time, The Mamas and the Papas were considered passe.

Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts. Jagger, of course, is high cool, so that puts Watts at a disadvantage, but Watts is a guy who likes to wear suits and prefers to spend evenings home with this wife.

Bob Dylan and Garth Hudson of his backing group (and later the Band).

Freddy Mercury and John Deacon (I’m a huge Deeky fan)

This is a fun question. I’ll go with Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield.

Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina. Actually, that’s more a disparity in subsequent success, 'cause I always liked Messina better.

Michael and Tito.

Natalie Merchant and everyone else in 10,000 Maniacs

Gene Krupa and Benny Goodman

OK, I’ll bite. Who are we casting as cool and who are we casting as lame in this example?

I’m going to guess Lars – many regard him as the poster boy for being a douche after the whole Napster thing.

I may have to take issue with that. Jagger has become something of an embarassment–there’s something about prancing about the stage at 65 that endangers one’s cool card, though I’ll admit that impregnating Brazillian supermodels at an advanced age is probably a step in the right direction. Watts, on the other hand, gains cool points for his realistic attitude toward musicianship. I remember when he was asked about tuning his drums–he got rather surly and responded that it was a stupid idea, since they’s go out of tune almost immediately. Dunno–thought that was pretty cool.

Actually, we should just rename the band Metallidouche. :smiley:

Maybe not exactly what the OP was looking for, but the first thing that came to mind is Justin Timberlake. N’Sync wasn’t cool at all, and since all the other former band members are pretty much known exclusively for being in N’Sync, they’re uncool. Justin, on the other hand … cool.

Yeah, I also disagree – Charlie is completely his own man, than which there is nothing cooler. See also #8 on this list. Hell, see the whole list.

I think Charlie is quintessentially cool.

Wham! is made up of George Michael and some other guy. In fact, I bet even his mother calls him ‘the other guy from Wham!’.

Hell, I’d say Freddy Mercury and anyone else from Queen. Anyone else from any other band, for that matter. I like lots of types of music. But no one, no one is Freddy. Or is ever gonna be!

Simon & Garfunkel. The former gained mucho brownie points from various quarters by his embracing of world music; the latter’s solo career was nothing special.

I think the OP is looking for Coolness vs. Lameness, not Coolness vs. Obscurity. Lameness, as in, they might be all over the place, but you’d lose coolness points yourself if you admitted to liking them.

Cher was kinda cool, but Sonny got all square and shit.

And you are right.