What is the largest standard currency note available worldwide?

What is the largest standard currency note available worldwide? Meaning what note, that is a standard form of currency, had the largest value in US $'s?

For example, in the US that would be the $100 bill - which is a single bill.

I know that you can get a €500 note. That’s worth about $700 or £350. I don’t know if there is anything larger than that in general circulation.

I was going to open the bidding with the 500 Euro too. That beats anything the Swiss, British or Japanese have, and I would guess anybody else.

US banknotes were issued up to $10,000 in the 20s or 30s, and are still legal tender today, however, they would be worth more than face to a collector.

The Canadian thousand-dollar bill was withdrawn from circulation in 2000.

Switzerland has a 1000 Swiss Franc note, which, according to Yahoo! currency converter, is worth about US$ 853,3151

I don’t think so. According to Yahoo currency converter, 500 Euro is US$ 703,2497, which is less than the worth of the 1000 swiss franc note.

Or, to put it differently, 1000 Swiss francs = 606,7460 Euro which is greater than the largest Euro bill, 500 euro.

Switzerland FTW!

Let’s not forget those rarely seen $100,000 gold certificates (www.treas.gov)

picture of it here (en.wikipedia.org)

By gum, you’re right. I recall reading that the 500 Franc note wasn’t included in the latest series, so I took that to mean they got rid of the 1000 as well. They did get rid of the 500, but kept the big’un. Good catch.

And everytime I’m in Zurich my no good banker fills my briefcase up with 200 Franc notes, which is a real pain, as it’s quite heavy. I’ll have to talk to him about that.

As far as I know, the public never circulated that note. It was used to transfer money between banks.

Yes, that’s what the treas.gov link says about the $100,000 bill:

But at the time, wasn’t that worth about $1.47 ?

sigh That kind of joke was better when the two dollars weren’t so close to parity.

Yeah. The joke to make now is: “$1000 Canadian? Isn’t that only, like, $1000 in real money?”

Are you misplacing commas or dropping periods? What are those numbers supposed to be?

I believe he’s using commas as a decimal point in the posts referring to currency conversions (though not in the posts referring to the $100,000 bill. I can’t explain the inconsistency.)

Sorry about that. When I type I go with the American custom of using a period for the decimal separator and a comma for the group separator. one thousand: 1,000.00

But I copied and pasted the conversions from the Yahoo! conversion calculator at my personalized Yahoo! page which defaults to French, so Yahoo! used the French decimal separator which is a comma. I’ll rewrite my posts with the US convention:

Switzerland has a 1000 Swiss Franc note, which, according to Yahoo! currency converter, is worth about US$ 853.3151

According to Yahoo currency converter, 500 Euro is US$ 703.2497, which is less than the worth of the 1000 swiss franc note.

Or, to put it differently, 1000 Swiss francs = 606.7460 Euro which is greater than the largest Euro bill, 500 euro.

It’s not a note, but the Royal Canadian Mint did produce a million dollar gold coin this year weighing in at a hundred kilos. You’d have to have pretty good pockets.

And yeah yeah, dollar value joke here: as I’m typing xe.com says that the exchange rate is 1.00005. So that’d be pretty much a million US too.

I love their website. Why did the Canadian Mint decide to make a million dollar coin? “Because we can.”

Pockets, hell. How would you pick the thing up? I mean other than sliding it to the edge of the (substantial) table so you could get your fingers under it (and beware of pinching).

I doubt you could actually use it as tender either, what with most banks refusing to deal with fiddling small change when it comes to Foreign Exchange…

Canadian Triganic Pu, anyone? No? Anyone? Dust? Anyone? :smiley:

Some years ago in Turkey I had a pocket full of 100,000 Turkish Lira banknotes.

Each one was enough to buy a cup of coffee and if I found a really cheap place it would even stretch to a doughnut :slight_smile: