What is the legal or generally accepted as reasonable standard for providing heat in a child's room?

I know some people who like to walk around the house in shorts and t shirts even in January and expect you to keep a house at about 74. Well sorry, they dont pay the heating bill and in the winter the house might well drop to the mid 60’s and they need to find a sweater.

At some point after the 70s, people started to think they should be able to wear jeans and t-shirts all the time. Apparently parents stopped yelling “PUT ON A SWEATER IF YOU’RE COLD! I’m not made of money!” at their kids.

80F, based on my office. If the high for the day is going to be 20F, why would you wear a short skirt and thin blouse? But the under-dressed ladies complain and then they jack the heat up, and those of us who dressed for winter are too hot. It sucks.

I keep my Boston-area apartment between 66-68F. But I wear jeans and a fleece top around the house if it’s cold, and use flannel sheets and a heated mattress pad in bed.

Edit: unless my mother visits in the winter. She shivers like the Little Match Girl and clutches a fleece blanket around her in front of the fire, while wearing three layers of clothing (including a sweatshirt). Since she is 73 years old, has low thyroid, and lives in Florida, I put the heat up to 72F while she’s here and just wear shorts.

Comment to the OP: check to see if cold air is coming in through the window. Heavier or lined curtains may help the room stay warmer. I switch to heavy cotton velvet curtains in the winter and it helps immensely.

But it would show up on the thermometer if his room was getting cold from something like that, right? Again, our house has no central thermostat.

UrbanRedneck, those houseguests starting to wear out their welcome, I take it? :slight_smile:

I’m really struggling to understand why you’re looking for ‘google proof’ of heating laws for a teenager that refuses to wear more than a t-shirt.

Americans have been known for their central-heating for a very long time. I think our house was set to 75F when I was a kid. I used to sleep without blankets.

I’d just buy the kid a space heater. But be careful to buy the kind that dont cause a fire. I like the radiator kind.

well, maybe it’ll knock some sense into a person who won’t dress appropriately for the weather. This kid sounds like a self-centered dick.

A lot of elderly folks match their home temperature with their age, and could use live-in assistance with maintenance, cleaning, meal preparation and personal care.

Surely you could find such a home for him on Craigslist.

We keep our thermostat set to 64°F all winter (heater) and to 72°F all summer (air con). 84°F is ridiculous.

why are you playing his game? if the room is legitimately 68 to 70 degrees then it’s more than warm enough to not be a health or safety issue. step up and be a parent instead of a negotiator.

Because our thermostat is wonky, I have to sleep quite cold in order for my kids to be comfortable. I get around this with extra blankets, fleece cap, and some silk long-johns. I find that by morning I’ve inevitably pulled off the cap and one blanket. Sounds like you’ve got a reverse situation there… get that kid bundled up and see if he manages to sleep all night wearing that gear.

Also get that thermostat checked.

Your body temperature is ALWAYS well above normal room temperature. Otherwise you would be dead.

84 degrees for indoors is sky-high. The average human body is so efficient at producing heat that most people need their surroundings to be 20-30 degrees cooler than body temperature in order to be comfortable.

Maybe you should print out one of those pages telling you what temperature a baby’s room should be, and tell the teenager that if it’s good enough for an infant, it’s good enough for him. Then buy him the Snuggie suggested upthread and tell him that’s the equivalent of a baby’s sleep-sack.

Could do. But then they’d keep his thermostat at 16 or 17. Which would be a *bit *chilly.

I thought it was clear, but in case it wasn’t: I am certainly not inclined to even entertain the notion of letting him heat his room beyond 70°, so long as he refuses to wear anything warmer than a T-shirt.

But he lives with his mother part of the time, she does keep her house much warmer, and our divorce is less than amicable. So I wanted something clear cut so he cannot have any basis for complaining to her about it. (He may still complain, but I want to make sure I’m on solid legal ground in refusing to accede to his wishes in this matter.)

Keep meaning to mention: I don’t think he suffers from any medical condition other than allergies; but he is very small for his age, without much fat on him.

How about if he wants it warmer, then he does the research? :wink:

I was a scrawny kid. Despite growing up in relatively warm SoCal, the first time in my life I wasn’t cold was when I was 23 and living in the tropics. That probably has a lot to do with the kid’s whining.

Him splitting time between two households with radically different temperature standards is gonna be a source of complaint. Most folks can get acclimated to most anything eventually. But not if it changes radically back and forth every 5 days.

And nothing you can do will prevent him from whining to Mom about your treatment of him. Nor can she prevent him whining to you about her. Nor can you prevent her trying to use his whines as a stick to beat you with if she so chooses.

About the best you can hope for is to ensure he has access to the house clothes he actually needs to be warm. And to beat the drum loud and long that complaining about being cold while there’s still 2 more layers of comfy clothes in the drawer is childish passive aggressive stuff. Real adults don’t so that. Appeal to his pride, however he defines it. Unless he’s proud of being a weakling.

I don’t get why people have such a huge hangup on other people’s subjective interpretation of temperature. It leads to these bizarre fights that seem more about emasculating the other person. If your son claims he’s only comfortable at 84F, why not take him at his word and just accept he’s legitimately comfortable at 84F rather than that he’s trying to play some kind of mind games with you?

By my calculations, it should cost less than a dollar a day to heat just his room up to that temperature with a space heater of some kind. If you really want to be petty, you could try and take it out of his allowance but this seems like such a trivial issue compared to the amount of discussion and angst it’s generating.

Nonsense. In hot (or even moderately warm) countries the ambient temperature is frequently above body temperature and people are not dropping dead all over the place. Humans have lived in the tropics for a long time before air conditioning was invented.

“most people” Cite? Comfort is massively dependent on acclimatisation. People used to average summer temperatures above 35C for long periods will be uncomfortable at 20C.

One thing I don’t understand about this discussion is the assumption that the temperature will remain constant through the day. Sitting reading or working at the computer I’m uncomfortable much below 24C (say 75F) but find it hard to sleep if it is much above 15C (60F) and prefer it a lot cooler. We keep the living room hot while we’re up but turn the heating off overnight (and keep a window in the bedroom open). In England this works for us except for the occasional extreme periods but I accept other people have other needs.

Probably we are reacting to what seems (as described) to a certain entitlement attitude, possibly birthed by experience at playing his folks off each other. If the kid was wearing sweaters and still cold then fine. But, again as described, this kid is acting like it is his right to be toasty in shorts and a t-shirt.