What is the meaning of the idiom: "go to the skiff"?

Hi

Steve Bannon uses the phrase “go to the skiff” a few times 45+ seconds into the video linked below. It sound like doing something uncomfortable.

Steve Bannon predicts Trump impeachment fallout in Fox News exclusive

I look forward to your feedback

It’s not an idiom. It’s an acronym.

SCIF - Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility

Bannon? Now there’s a name I’ve not heard in a long, long time. A long time.

Though come to think of it, meeting on a skiff in the middle of a lake could be a less expensive way of stymying eavesdroppers.

Thank you for that reminder. I had completely forgotten that term.

Surely you jest. What with the parabolic microphones and beamformed phased arrays, you might as well cry the conversation out loud in a crowded square.

I live and learn.

I haven’t watched the clip, but surely it’s a reference to the incident a few weeks ago when a group of Republican Congressmen led by Gaetz stormed the SCIF to interrupt the impeachment inquiry?

The really funny part of that incident was, some of the GOP Congressmen storming the SCIF were members of the committees participating in the inquiry, but hadn’t been bothering to show up for meetings. So they stormed the SCIF to find out what they’d have already known if they’d just, you know, done their jobs.

Well, that’s not actually why they stormed the SCIF. They stormed it to create a public perception that the investigation is not legitimate they can justify ignoring the crimes of the administration.

Moderator Note

This being GQ, let’s refrain from political commentary.

Since the factual question in the OP has been answered, and this is likely to lead to further non-GQ remarks, I’m going to close this. Those wishing to discuss the incident further are welcome to do so in an appropriate forum.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator