What is the name of this medicinal African pepper soup?

I know someone who has friends from Liberia. When he had a sinus infection they made him some type of pepper soup. He said after eating it anhuge blob of shit came out if his nose and it cured his infection almost right away. But he can’t remembr what it was called. Any ideas?

I read about a black pepper squash soup with chicken. Apparently, it temporarily fends off the sinusitis headaches and clears your nose. Not sure if it’s originally African, though, but the description matches.

If he wants the recipe, here it is:

[spoiler]
• 2 1/2 Tbsp. olive or sunflower oil
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 3/4 Cup chopped broccoli
• 3/4 Cup chopped carrots
• 3/4 Cup chopped celery
• 1/4 Cup chopped white onion
• 2 tsp. dried mixed herbs
• 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
• 2 14oz. cans of chicken broth
• 1 12oz frozen chicken breast
• 2 1/2 Cup egg noodles
• sea salt
• pepper mill

Procedure:

1. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
  2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the chicken, garlic, and vegetables. Sautée until lightly colored.
  3. Add the broth, herbs and red pepper. Sprinkle the soup with a generous amount of sea salt. (Feel free to add more broth and/or water if you like soupier soup.)
  4. Now here’s the magic step. Suffocate the soup with pepper. Cover the top. Twice. Make it so the broth looks dark. I spend about 30-45 seconds, constantly grinding pepper over the top.
  5. Ramp up the heat and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and put a little more salt in. And some pepper. Yeah.
  6. Bring to a soft boil and cover the soup. Let simmer on Med-Low to Med heat for 10-20 minutes or until the carrots are soft and the noodles are done. Stir occasionally, and be liberal with the pepper.

Source: Internet[/spoiler]

A soul food place in my area serves a fantastic version of this dish. They simply call it Liberian Hot Pepper Soup.

Here’s one recipe:
http://www.congocookbook.com/soup_and_stew_recipes/pepper_soup.html