What is the naval rank held by Prince Charles?

This is just a guess, but I reckon those are the uniforms of the Colonel-in-Chief of the regiment that is doing the Trooping. It’s likely the same for Princess Anne, as she holds that position with several regiments as well.

The uniform on display at the Guards Museum in London has the insignia of a colonel. That’s also what Prince Philip wears when he’s in his Grenadier Guards uniform.

Fair call but I still stand by the Pink Tutu :mad:

I know a Royal Marine and, from conversations, their dislike of him has more to do with laziness and lack of mental stamina. Not only has he just not got what it takes - most of us don’t - but he didn’t really try.

Has anyone else?

Camilla tells me he’s an outie.

Phillip got bumped up from Admiral of the Fleet to Lord High Admiral for his 90th birthday, taking over the post from his wife.

Although “bumped up” may not be correct - I’ve never really figured out the very top of the Royal Navy’s structure.

As of today, he’s an Admiral of the Fleet (and a Field Marshal and Marshal of the RAF).

That’s just a pre-emptive strike against submarine wielding supervillains who might get the idea to kidnap him.

Ha HA! He’s been trained to escape from submarines!

This could be a British version of Air Force One (the movie)! And very appropriate for a seafaring nation, one might add.

Still can’t think of any such examples. Which is odd, as her dad wore either Army, Navy or Air Force uniforms on various occasions:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/589270-3/KingG
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/military_photos/uniforms/323216d1332517887t-king-george-vi-odd-raf-uniform-per-zio-nuccio.jpg

Maybe a specially tailored RAF oder Navy uniform for a woman to be worn by the Queen would look somewhat bizarre.

Are these totally honorary or, in the event of war, would he actually command the military?

Totally honorary.

11 days after you posted this, his mum promoted him to the highest ranks. :slight_smile:

Which proves the tremendous impact that SDMB has on the highest circles.

No more bizarre than Princess Anne’s military get-up, I’d say.

I just wanted to point out that in doing some cursory Googling on this issue I found out that the official title of the most senior actual professional officer (e.g. non-honorary title, like the Queen) in the Royal Navy is “First Sea Lord.”

That is a goddamned awesome job title.

On top of that, for a time in the early 2000s the job was held by some guy who also had an unconnected heriditary title, and so for some years the Royal Navy was commanded by a man who was officially styled, as God is my witness, “Admiral The Lord West of Spithead, First Sea Lord.” Would you mess with a guy called that? The Argentines tried - they sank his ship in 1982 - but look how that turned out for them.

Spithead has had a lock on the navy for centuries.

A picture of Lord West and the queen is there.

BTW, I think the Queen, when trooping the colors, looks cute as a button. But she probably doesn’t have a lot to say.