What is the oldest country in the world

So I’ve got a theory that the UK is actually the oldest country in the world. Now if we’re to debate this we have to set up some rules on how a country qualifies. If the country was conquered, colonized, had their government change by violent or extra-legal means or military coup then the clock on that country starts over.

For example if your country was occupied by Nazis your clock starts up in 1945. we can’t count the UK, or England, back to 1066 but only to the 1707 act of union although you might argue and take it back to when parliament took control after the glorious revolution (I’m not sure).

In its current incarnation, it dates only from 1922.

I would say the U.S is the oldest government established. Everybody else exist in their current form since later.

Isn’t itSan Marino?

And didn’t we have a thread like this?

eta - yep:

Why 1922? Because Ireland split?

Then it seems like you have started a clock over when a country has lost part of its territory. Why include Ireland but not the US ceding the Canal Zone to Panama?

Or, what is your criteria, and is it what the OP wants?

I didn’t realize I was supposed to resurrect old threads for discussion. Or are you saying that they had the definitive answer and nothing more can be said on the subject.

We’ve had this discussion before, and problem is that there’s no objective way to define when a country “starts over.” It’s like trying to define what the best country is. Everybody ends up setting the criteria so their favorite country wins, and/or their least favorite country doesn’t.

Monaco?

Monegasque Revolution in 1910 led to an end to absolute monarchy and the creation of their constitution.

Sweden…no military occupations or violent revolutions.

Canada

To be fair, that’s kind of par for the course around here.

Ireland was actually part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The Canal Zone was never more than a territory owned by the US.

The Canal Zone is probably more analogous to the UK’s handover of Hong Kong.

Any big changes in Japan after the Meiji Restoration in 1868?

They were conquered and had their government and constitution rewritten to please their conquers?

Isle of Man would be my guess.

But the Emperor stayed in power, which means that it could be seen as more of a sweeping reform than an actual change in government.

For Japan, I’d say the second half of 1500’s when Hideyoshi established some semblance of unity.

No, it cant be seen that way. The Emperor did not stay in power. The government was wiped away ana the Americans ran Japan for several years. When Japan regained her independence, it was in no way connected to the old Japan.

No, I was just bringing more information to the thread, tis all…