What is “the powerball” in the powerball lottery?

Buying them in the first place is never a good idea but your point is well taken and I don’t disagree. One of your pitfalls is avoided because the buyer makes copies of the tickets.

This is what my office group does. The organizer writes the name of the group and the number of participants. He takes a picture and emails it to the group along with each person’s cash balance. When your balance goes red, you send him more money. If you don’t, you are dropped from the group until you are back in the black.

I did the math years ago for our state lottery and the multi-state one they participated in back then. I took into account the cash payout option, taxes and the odds on the various ways to collect.

The state lottery had a positive expected return once the jackpot got to $9-10M.

The multi-state had a positive expected return once the jackpot got to ~$70M.

The state lottery regularly got above the positive return point. But they canceled it.

As to the multi-state, they added more numbers, increased the odds, etc. I quickly checked that the break even point was going to be ridiculously high and didn’t do the full math.

Anyway, “theoretically” it does pay, in a sense, to play the lottery once the jackpot hits a certain level. But it’s a crappy theoretically. You can pretty much ignore the jackpot to give a realistic rate of return … and it’s not so good then.

Five million after taxes is plenty folks. I don’t see the point of higher jackpots at all.

I found all seven power balls once. A giant dragon appeared.

One of my co-workers is out on vacation today and I will be putting in money for him just because of you and to avoid the problems even though he is not the type to sue. If we win, I’ll make him send you a tip. :slight_smile:

Absolutely unbelievable answer to the question: What is the lottery “powerball”?

Having asked a number of lottery players what was the meaning of the lotto “powerball” and finding no one who knew, I posted the question here.

I received a good number of conflicting, quite subtle, answers, only one of which could have been correct and, it tuns out, none of which turned out to have been correct.

So I then wrote to an organization I found that was responsible for the lottery and got this answer (verified on the CNN site)":

When the Powerball draw takes place, 
            a lottery machine dispenses five balls 
            numbered between 1 and 69. A second
            machine then dispenses one more ball 
            numbered between 1 and 26. This last 
            one is the Powerball.

In other words, you can’t win the grand prize if you don’t choose at least one number under twenty-seven.

Who knew? Not any of the players surveyed, nor the respondents answering on Straight Dope Message Board.

Nor any of those who choose only numbers over 31 (to avoid having to split with one of the many who choose their birthdays).

The UK lottery allocates a fixed £10 prize to matching 3 of 6.

Only the people with an IQ above 160 can solve these questions. Are you one of them?

Moderator Note

Please do not post follow-up information for an existing topic in a new thread. Just update your original thread.

I have merged your follow-up into this thread.

Like Mega Millions, the Powerball number (which only runs to 26) is always the last one listed on the form. Anyone who’s actually picking their numbers would know this, or very quickly figure it out.

The way that you select numbers Powerball (Mega Millions works exactly the same way) is that you select five different numbers from the main number pool (1-69), and you also select one number from the Powerball pool (an entirely different pool of numbers, which only runs from 1-26). If you try to pick a number for the Powerball “slot” that’s over 26, the system won’t let you. If you fill out a scan sheet to select your numbers, the options for the number for the Powerball stop at 26.

Edit: Here is a picture of the Illinois Lottery’s Powerball form, which might help illustrate what I just tried to explain.

Your five “main” numbers can, in fact, all be over 26, and such a set of numbers can, in fact, be part of a winning entry. For example, the winning Powerball numbers for October 3rd were:

41 53 59 63 66

with a Powerball number of 03.

You have to choose the powerball number separately from the others, and while I’m not positive, I’m pretty sure that you cannot choose a powerball number over 26.

No, you are not getting it.
First you pick 5 different numbers between 1 and 69. The sixth(and separate) number is then chosen by you, and it must be from 1 to 26. The forms you fill out prevents you from screwing it up/picking a non-eligible number, so you cannot turn in a number that won’t qualify for the grand prize.

They changed that to £25 when they increased the number of balls a year or so ago. I think they put the price up too at the same time.

Doesn’t it strike you that your interpretation is unbelievable? That a lottery would be set up in a way that the system allowed people to pick a set of numbers that could not possibly win?

When you fill out the Powerball card, it will give you a grid of numbered ovals from 1 to 69 and you fill in five of those ovals. There is then a separate grid of 26 numbered ovals and you in just one of those ovals. If you mess up these simple instructions the machine won’t accept your card, period.
Here is an image of a PowerBall ticket.

It can be done, and very well.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=14932636

Honestly as a lottery retailer. If you don’t get the “Powerball or Megaball” it’s the same for both drawings. You have to then get three of the regular numbers to get any kind of payout. All the games are focused on funneling your bet to the house. I cannot tell you how many tickets I’ve checked where if you don’t get the end one correct that you win anything. So many people focus on the first 5 when you need to focus on the last one first. That said any Lottery is a tax on the poor and the mathematical stupid. Humans cannot comprehend very large numbers involved so they fall back on the two most assinine phrases I’ve heard. “If you don’t play you can’t win” and “Someone has to win”

store where I bought my ticket sold a million dollar winning ticket but sadly not to me.

BTW a lottery ticket is not a tax since by definition a tax is a mandatory payment.