What is the purpose of undergarments?

As a person who wears blue jeans, I’d be reluctant to do so without underwear. (That zipper is disturbingly close…) However protecting the jeans from crotch funk and such would be a close second.

Around here, much of the year, temperatures are low enough to justify multiple layers. If you’re wearing multiple layers, one of them logically must be the underlayer.

In the summer, I don’t bother with undershirts.

This. I also like the support of a bra. Sometime, in the summer, when I’m home alone I wear nothing but a bra.

Recently, I’ve been buying from
https://www.figleaves.com/uk/lingerie/bras/
They aren’t cheap, but they have supportive bras without nasty underwires and they have decent search capabilities for me to find those bras.

I wear my jeans for a week and shirts for 2 or 3 days. Underwear is what allows that.
My wife’s bras fit and are comfortable because she gets them the right size. Her mother’s never did because she believed that only a loose woman could possibly need a size larger than B, so she bought that size, let it out somehow and was never comfortable.

My mom always told me it was to keep my weiner from getting caught in my zipper.

ooh. I like those. Thanks a bunch.

Actually, even that’s not a good reason, no one in emergency services cares about your underwear.

And if you need emergency services after an accident your underwear stands a good chance of being no longer clean anyway.

Perfect answer. Also sexiness, but that’s less a purpose than a side effect. YMMV.

My word. The only clothing I wear more than once before washing it are pants, which I only wear twice.

I think undergarments protect your outer garments.

I am torn between wanting to subscribe to QtM’s newsletter and wanting to pay him to not tell me any of his “worse things”…

I can’t put a sanitary pad directly onto the inside of my pants, so underpants are necessary.

1. underwear protects your outer clothes from… smears and stains

2. underwear or bras (depending on your specific configuration) keeps stuff from flopping around

3. the extra layer of fabric helps cover up the underlying shape, so random people can’t see your nipples and camel toe/moose knuckle

I seem to recall a stand-up comic talking about this: “First you say it, then you do it!”

:eek::eek::smiley:

I went with that selection too.

I like the term underwear, the P word bugs me!

I go without bras in the house but it does tend to get sweaty under there so I wear one part of the day. I wear the sports bra types. So much more comfortable and no binding and none of the pretty crap of a regular ones!

Actually a combination of #2 and #3. Clothing back then was often homespun and/or wool. Take it from someone who had run around in reproduction 18th century clothing; it takes a toll on the body in some weather conditions.

I’d choose the two protect options (me from clothes, clothes from me) if I could.

BTW, if you’ve never found a comfortable bra:

1. Get fitted by a professional fitter.
  2. Go for Decent Exposures (insanely comfy though they do not make the girls perky).

That was the great Bill Cosby!

Back when The Cos was still great. :frowning:

Pretty much the only reason I wear underwear is to avoid being judged by anyone who might notice I haven’t bothered with it.

ISTM that people vary A LOT in how much they sweat in general, and also in how … um … grotty and funky their nether regions get.

The OP is very interesting. She may take for granted that – while her experience may be different – for a lot of people, the purpose of wearing underwear is most obvious.