What is the Raging Debate in your area of geekery?

The true identity of Agatha, wife of Edward the Exile, mother of Queen Margaret of Scots. Was she a Hungarian princess? A German noblewoman? A Kievan princess?

Zaida, concubine of Alfonso VI of Castile. Was she also his wife under the name Isabel? Was she the mother of two of his daughters?

Amie Gaveston. Illegitimate daughter of Piers Gaveston, illegitimate daughter of his wife Margaret, a somehow overlooked legitimate child of the two of them or no relation whatsoever?

Any discussion of these three is guaranteed to spark a HUGE flame war on soc.genealogy.medieval as everyone argues over sources, theories, and possibilities.

[QUOTE=Bobotheoptimist]
See? Somehow the M16 is such a persnickety princess that’s as difficult to maintain as an F-14.
Remember, the people arguing FOR the AK are probably living in suburbia and keep their toys in pristine condition. The AK is fine for a dirt poor guerrilla that can’t afford anything better, but I promise you that if the AR was as twitchy as legend indicates, the Army would have dumped it 20 years ago. Instead, they looked at what was wrong and fixed it.

Dang, sorry. The OP didn’t ask for a demonstration of our raging debate…
[/QUOTE]

Well, from what I understand the M-16 WAS as twitchy, and worse, than people say. I’ve not only heard this on the History Channel (after The Master and the SDMB, the third largest storehouse of absolutley true infallible knowledge :wink: ), but also from reading We Were Soldiers, written by a reporter present at the Battle of Ia Drang Valley early in the Vietnam War, with interviews from numerous soldiers who reported repeated problems with the M-16 (reinforcements sent to positions previously occupied by platoons which had been badly depleted in earlier attacks found themselves having to pick up rifles left by wounded or dead soldiers when their own rifles jammed).

Of course, the vast majority of the problems with the M-16 were fixed relatively early in the Vietnam War, so I dare say the biggest problem the M-16 had was an insuffucient beta testing period before it was put in the field. That said, I understand it is still relatively fussy, but that seems to be fine from a doctrinal POV for the US military. At least the gun wasn’t prone to blowing portions of itself off like the M9 was early in it’s career (more a flaw of the quality of materials in the first batch of the handguns than a design problem, and this was also something they fixed).

Speaking of which, I have heard various debates about the Beretta M9 (AKA the Beretta 92) and the Colt M1911. I talked to an Army sergeant (an MP currently doing recruiting) who has been in long enough to use both, and he says he favored the stopping power and “drop in the mud” reliability of the Colt, but also liked the lightness, simplicity, and larger magazine of the Beretta.

He did make a point of mentioning how he wouldn’t NEED the extra bullets of the Beretta if the 9mm bullets would put the bad guy down like the Colt’s 45ACP could. :smiley:

One video game debate that I find interesting for its sheer bizarreness…Dance Dance Revolution stepcharts.

Which ones are too easy. Too hard. Good. Bad. Great. Sucky. Appropriate. Inappropriate.

That shouldn’t be a 9, it’s actually an intense challenging murderous chaotic crushing 8. A 10? That’s so EASY!! Well, for a 10. It’d be better as a tough 9. And that tough 9’s more like a normal 9. Okay, maybe that’s a 10.

And the beauty of it is, nobody…nobody at all…ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY NOBODY…ever explains what they think makes a stepchart good, or bad, or too easy, or too hard, or whatever. This despite an entire glossary of terms for the types of steps and patterns.

DDR: The simple rhythm game which spawned a metaphysical debate. :slight_smile:

(I occasionally see this with Beatmania notecharts, although those are usually just along the lines of “way too easy” or “not really that hard”.)

Well, there’s always the good old chestnut “What’s the manner of death in Russian roulette - accident or suicide?”

That one’s been I don’t know how many rounds on the medical examiners’ listserve.

[QUOTE=MrDibble]
There is no debate - “Legos” is an abomination, by company mandate.
[/quote]
I know that, you know that, but there is still a debate because not everyone accepts the company mandate as authoritative - it ought to be authoritative, but there is a significant contingent of “I’ll call it what I damn well choose and no wimpy liberal Euro is going to tell me otherwise”. Which is all it takes.

[QUOTE=Raguleader]
He did make a point of mentioning how he wouldn’t NEED the extra bullets of the Beretta if the 9mm bullets would put the bad guy down like the Colt’s 45ACP could.
[/QUOTE]

Raging debate #2: Colt 1911 - a great pistol, or the greatest pistol? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Pochacco]
It’s generally accepted that one of the things holding back videogames as a serious art form is a lack of formal critical discourse. Right now video game critiques tend to boil down to nothing more than “I liked this game” or “I hated this game” because reviewers and game designers don’t have the critical tools to analyze a gameplay experience on a deeper level.

The narratology camp has been trying to analyze videogames using critical language borrowed from modern literary theory. That means looking at the game in terms of symbolism and themes and character and narrative. For example, a narratologist might write a scholarly paper on Lara Croft dissecting the various contradictions in her constructed persona. She’s clearly designed to be a sex object, but the mostly male audience that played Tomb Raider also identifies closely with her. Are they experiencing the equivalent of putting on drag? Or are they enjoying having completely control over a powerful female? Or some conflicted combination of the two?

The ludologist says this is interesting, but tangential. The physical appearance of an in-game character is a minor factor in the gameplay experience. What’s really going on at a deep level is a complex interplay of abstract rules. The “fun” comes from how these rules intermesh with each other as the player moves through the gameworld. And traditional literary theory isn’t very useful for talking about this sort of thing.

Unfortunately there isn’t yet ANY good critical theory for talking about the stuff that the ludologists want to talk about. For example, it’s clear that “cadence” is an important factor in determining if a level is fun or not. (Cadence is the pacing of a level, the ups and downs, and moments of panic and calm.) But we don’t have a standard language for analyzing cadence. We need to be able so say things like: “The cadence of this stretch is too KIFFY. We need a more POLGY approach. Let’s throw in a few BINGLES.”

Unfortunately we don’t know what POLGY, KIFFY and BINGLES are yet … .

Basically the narratologists have good tools for answering minor questions and the ludologists have crappy tools for answering big questions.
[/QUOTE]

OOOOH OOOH OOH! done like Arnold Horschak
I know you said you’re argued-out over it, but you know what you need? Someone who’s a screenwriter. I can give you terms about pacing. Lots of terms and ideas.
But I still side with the other guys. :slight_smile:

  1. Is the new cycle system better than the old unlimited system?

  2. Can a hydrogen-powered internal combustion engine be a safe and efficient way to run an emissions-free vehicle?

I like to shoot guns. The big debates:
Which is the better battle rifle: the FAL or the M14?

Which is the better round for a soldier to use: the .223 or the 7.62 X 51?

Which is best for handgun shooting: Weaver vs. Isosceles?

Which is best for handgun shooting: point shooting or sighted fire?

What is the best gun for home defense: a handgun, shotgun, or rifle?

What is the best caliber for a CCW handgun: 9 mm, .40, or .45?

Which of 4 Quarterbacks will start for the Dawgs this year.

Can’t wait to be back in Athens.

[QUOTE=DanBlather]
Is that the issue of wheter or not to put a comma before the “and” in a list? For example: apples, pears, bannanas[,] and pineapples.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, just checked back today. Right, that’s it exactly.

I’m a proponent of using commas before the ‘and’ in a list of 3 or more items – it just looks naked to me the other way around. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Fretful Porpentine]
Looks like you missed your chance. (I never read it either, but I suspect it’s an experience I can live without.)
[/QUOTE]

Darn. No leatherpants Draco for me. That’s all right. I didn’t really have the energy to spork anything that long anyway.

George W Bush: great president, or the greatest president?

In the Esperanto-speaking world: Helper, Separatist, or Antinationalist?

There three viewpoints relate to the future use and purpose of the language. Should Esperanto-speakers be…

a) Promoting the language as a neutral tool for all to use, a tool that facilitates communication among different groups… but it’s only a tool, subordinate to one’s existing culture and allegiance (this was the original idea);

b) Just enjoying the culture that has grown up among Esperanto-speakers on its own terms (including, potentially, creating our own home, however that might be defined), and forgetting about trying to implant Esperanto in other cultures or nations; or

c) Declaring that national languages and allegiances are the problem, not the solution, and that Esperantists should actively try to replace existing languages and allegiances with an equal international rule.

For individual Esperanto-speakers, the positions are seldom that clearly distinguished.

People who follow Viewpoint A look at the status of the language in the present day, note its lack of large-scale use, and conclude that, according to the founder’s original idea, the language has been a failure.

Opponents come back by saying that Esperanto wasn’t a failure; instead, it was either suppressed for political reasons (as an unauthorised channel for peer-to-peer communication, which dictators disliked) or ridiculed for psychological reasons (people couldn’t get over their emotional attachment to their mother tongues, and wouldn’t consider Esperanto with an open mind).

Others say that this debate is irrelevant and reply with Viewpoint B: a self-sustaining community has coalesced around the language in the past hundred years, and Esperantists should now be taking ourselves on our own terms, like any other cultural community of the same size and numbers.

This leads into discussion about ‘linguistic minority rights’, where some people support smaller lingustinc and cultural grouops, and oppose large languages steamrollering over smaller ones. Often they propose some sort of state support for smaller cultural groupings.

Proponents of Viewpoint C oppose this proliferation of small groupings, and say that breaking up into smaller groups is the problem, not the solution. Everyone should speak Esperanto and participate in a world-wide democracy, with equal rights for all.

At which point the proponents of Viewpoint A come back and say, goven the way the world is at the moment, that’s clearly never going to happen; we should settle for what we can get, and stop annoying the national elites by trying to replace them. And around and around it goes.

Large books have been written on this debate. As far as I can tell, it will continue indefinitely.

[QUOTE=Mayo Speaks!]
George W Bush: great president, or the greatest president?
[/QUOTE]

Umm…am I being whooshed here? I don’t do Great Debates for a variety of reasons so have no clue if **Mayo Speaks ** is serious or attempting sarcasm…

…oh, and if you are serious, then I must ask for context, as I have of the other posters.

…at which point I would truly suspect a Raging Debate…better addressed in the Pit.

[QUOTE=Raguleader]
Speaking of which, I have heard various debates about the Beretta M9 (AKA the Beretta 92) and the Colt M1911. I talked to an Army sergeant (an MP currently doing recruiting) who has been in long enough to use both, and he says he favored the stopping power and “drop in the mud” reliability of the Colt, but also liked the lightness, simplicity, and larger magazine of the Beretta.

He did make a point of mentioning how he wouldn’t NEED the extra bullets of the Beretta if the 9mm bullets would put the bad guy down like the Colt’s 45ACP could. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]
Paging Chouinard Fan, Chouinard Fan to the Army Officer Sidearm Throwdown! :stuck_out_tongue:

(He’s bought his own 1911 because he likes it so much better. IIRC, he wasn’t able to take it to Iraq, though.)

[QUOTE=Mayo Speaks!]
George W Bush: great president, or the greatest president?
[/QUOTE]

I’d go so far as to say that Bush’s presidential skills are surpassed only by George Washington’s wig-collecting skills.

Stephen Sondheim vs. Andrew Lloyd Webber (who, coincidentally, share the same birthdate of March 22nd).

[QUOTE=XJETGIRLX]
The hidden costs of COTS (commercial off-the-shelf applications). …
[/QUOTE]

I would like to second this one. Although, around here, it’s not really a raging debate. It’s more like a few voices in the wilderness trying to inject some reality into the fantasy world that some managers created for themselves when they believed everything they read on some COTS vendors websights.

It’s refreshing to hear another voice in the wilderness. Is anyone listening?