I think I can come up with something close to what the OP asks. I collect Beatles recordings. I’m not too active in it anymore, because there hasn’t been anything new to collect in a number of years. Since The Beatles’ UK catalogue was issued on CD in 1987, and everybody said how dry and awful they sounded, enterprising collectors have been acquiring every vinyl issue, worldwide, cleaning them up on the computer, and pirating them on CD.
Some, apparently, are better than others. The debate is “which is better? Dr. Ebbetts, or Millennium Remasters?” Yeah, well, the Ebbetts 2006 Upgrades are better than the 2005 upgrades, which are better than the 2004 upgrades, which are better than the 2003 upgrades of the 2002 catalogue. But the Millennium Remasters are smoother-sounding and have more bass. Oh, that sucks, because the Ebbetts remasters are crisper and more detailed. You think so? Wait 'til you hear the 2007 Ebbetts upgrades.
This kind of thing goes on endlessly now, 24/7, in some quarters. I personally don’t care, and I don’t hang out with those people. But there are multitudes of anal-retentive collectors out there analyzing the differences between multiple transfers of different copies of the same records. The Beatles only made thirteen albums (12 1/2 if you want to discount the instrumental side of “Yellow Submarine”, or 12 if you want to discount it entirely). There were many, many variations in album content and mixing in different countries. Nearly everything that ever came out, anywhere, has been pirated. All the mono, all the stereo. All the box sets. All the colored vinyl and picture discs, which are exactly the same as any other pressing, but noisier.
If you think that’s strange, check this out: people who are tired of listening to the same old Beatles tracks are now dissecting them and making mash-ups with elements digitally extracted from the stereo images. It’s exactly like karaoke, or listening to the rear channels in surround, but not the front. This was all years before “Love” came out. You can hear parts of the songs that are buried or otherwise obscured when listening to the regular stereo mix. I have a couple of tapes I made in the '80s that are the same thing - there was a short in the wire and I got the L-R mix by electrical accident. So I made a couple of tapes, in a kind of “oh, that’s neat” way, and never listened to them again. Back when this practice was starting up, my help was solicited, but I declined on the basis of, “meh.”
This is what insatiable people do when they discover that there are no more bootlegs of actual unreleased material to collect. Fortunately, I’m satiable.