What is the silver line captured over Lake Baikal on satellite maps?

Lake Baikal is in Russia north of Mongolia. I noticed a grey line that looks like a stretch of highway heading into the middle of the lake on Google Maps’ satellite view. There is a similar line (but displaced) on MapQuest.

Can anyone explain this interesting photographic artifact?

I think I read that it was tape used to attach two photographs together. I don’t know for sure or where I heard it…probably on this message board in the last 6 months. It doesn’t exactly make sense to me, but thats what I remember.

Are you sure it’s a photographic artifact? I ask because I once saw something quite similar with my own eyes, and photographed it, while flying over northern Ontario: a straight line on the earth that looked like a road except that it continued on the surface of a lake.

If you look at the image, it’s clearly not a causeway.

Yes:
(1) It’s far too wide – compare the width of roads in the area.
(2) It goes in a straight line over high mountains.
(3) It looks like someone has rubbed something in a straight line on the photograph.

It seems to be some kind of textile tape.

It’s mentioned in this thread. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=587840
and listed as a piece of tape holding together 2 paper photographs.

gotta love hi-tech!

Actually, that’s the famous, but never completed, Soviet era megaproject, the Lake Baikal Mile-Wide Bridge. It appears in different places on each website, because the satellites that took each shot were at different angles, each time.

I don’t think it’s a piece of tape but rather a processing glitch or even an odd reflection recurringly glinting into the lens of the camera.

If it really were a “bridge to nowhere,” it’d look like this.

If you zoom in and look carefully, you can see the word Google in the region with multiple passes parallel to each other.

Looks to me to be a digital artifact resulting from a void in the data, probably because the passes of satelites didn’t quite match up. There are some places on google maps where slightly doubled images result from the same scanning error the other way.

Tris