What is the top speed of a Grumman LLV?

Grumman LLV

Anecdotal evidence known to myself suggests the S-10 pickup of that vintage with a 2.5L engine, which is what the LLV is built on, can attain speeds of almost 75 miles per hour. Considering that the LLV’s has a 3 speed slushbox instead of the 4 speed that came in the S-10 and a heck of a lot more weight, I’m going to guess a top speed somewhere in the low 60’s.

Ya know JLA I at first assumed this was going to be about an airplane. You suckered me in. But I will take a stab

Its engine has 90-92 hp depending on the year

It has a low geared three speed transmission

I would be willing to bet that it has a governor as it is a fleet vehicle

WAG 60mph

First two facts from wiki

Capt

I can’t find the demonstrated exact top speed but the 0 - 60 time is 17 seconds. It doesn’t look like performance was a design goal. I could easily believe the top speed is in the 60’s or even lower.

<Me, looking innocent>

:smiley:

Laden, or unladen? African or European?

I wonder if they have a governor on them?

Heck, I assumed this was about Lunar Landing Research Vehicle, and was preparing to write a disertation about the speed at which it would fly out of control. Imagine my disappointment.

Stranger

They have one at Edwards AFB, which I’ve seen. In the same hangar, they have the M2-F1 Lifting Body :cool:

Finally, a question that stumps the SDMB. There is only one way to find out. Who wants to steal one and report back the findings after the moderate speed police chase?

Honestly, I don’t know why I thought someone hadn’t already done this joke.

Please go ahead and write that thread. It seems from the link that they were kinda hard to fly and the idea of flying a “bedstead” with 4800lbs of vertical thrust and a bunch of hydrogen peroxide rockets for steering, what could go wrong?

Capt

This.

On Saturdays its speed will soon be 0mph.

Interestingly, in the 70s, the USPS had AM General make a handful of electric-powered DJs. They could travel at 33 mph. If you were a mail carrier driving one of those, I imagine transitioning to a LLV would seem like stepping up to a racecar, pokey pushrod 4-cylinder engine, 3-speed slushbox and all.

I have been trying to catch him for a bit, just to ask about this.

Top speed a whopping 85mph, he said it is going to take a loooong time to get there. He has gotten his up to 65mph on the freeway.

No governor

His has just shy of 1,000,000 miles on it and still going strong, so LLV really is a good name

The USPS sells them at auction and the biggest buyers are people from the middle east who convert them into taxis

He wants to keep Saturday delivery

That’s all I have for ya

Say thanks to Abel, my postman

Capt