What is this object?

A friend posted this on Facebook.

That is a Stick. :slight_smile:

But it seems to be carved for some purpose.

I used to make stuff like that.

Take a branch with bark and such that’s nice looking. Chuck it in the lathe and turn down and finish one or both ends. Sometimes drill the narrow end so it looks like a bottle.

Decorative object.

A dibber maybe? https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiFHukn_ZLgHKQPgi39QQq-7I-DM6AK9W-1u6pI8RoIImrUyeb

Wouldn’t a dibber be more pointed?

Yeah, you stand it up in your garden to look pretty. And that’s about it.

If it had some practical purpose, it’d have had the bark stripped off.

It’s also been signed. That’s good evidence the creator thinks it’s a work of art.

It’s a turned wood vase. 1 2 3 4

Yours seems to be in a particularly crappy condition.

Either a work of art or a rustic-looking tool of some kind. But I can’t think what a tool that looks like this could be for, and as mentioned, if it was really a tool then they presumably wouldn’t leave bark on what would presumably be a handle or gripping area.

A barrel hole stopper or a stopper for a big ice cream turner, you know the old wooden ones. Or for a ice tray in a old wooden ice box. WAG.

Have any vampires in your neck of the woods?

Hahahaha “neck” of the woods :smiley:

It’s not sharp enough. :slight_smile:

Dang, I was hoping it was grid ball.

Definitely a turned wood vase. The bark was left on for decorative purposes. I like it.

Looks like a schwab.

As Abraham Lincoln is known to have said, “Anything’s a dildo if you’re brave enough.”

Looks like latheing practice piece … sometimes when I’m bored I take short chunks of 4x12 and rip it down to 1/4" x 1/4" project pieces … just making sawdust is all …

I think this is probably the answer.

eBay has a wood turned vase signed Schwab. I think this is almost certainly the answer.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Mid-Century-handcrafted-wood-turned-Vase-signed-Schwab/162971121314?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1