What Is This Song

Could you guys help tell me find the title of the song I’m describing? It was a war song, about a soldier about to leave for an amphibious invasion (something about “boats breaking in half” or something to that effect, and also about “sunny England”. I don’t remember much else but I would recognize if I heard the song again.

Can you elaborate? Is it an old-style song, a plaintive folk song, a rousing drinking song, anything? Do you remember where you would have heard it? What kind of musical instruments were involved? Was it sung by a solo person, or a group?

Is it The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?
http://home.pacbell.net/chabpyne/lyrics.html :stuck_out_tongue:

War - no
Soldier - no
Invasion - no
Sunny - no
England - no
It’ll be really annoying if this is the song.

Is it “The Last Farewell” by Roger Whittaker? (One of my mom’s favorite songs.) There’s a verse about going into battle:
Though death and darkness gather all about me
And my ship be torn apart upon the seas
I shall smell again the fragrance of these islands
In the heaving waves that brought me once to thee
And should I return safe home again to England
I shall watch the English mist roll through the dell

For you are beautiful
And I have loved you dearly
More dearly than the spoken word can tell

There’s also another verse about war.

Yes. Thank you.

This may be the first time I’ve ever been the first (or the anyth) to identify something on the SDMB!

Since that time, other people have done this song, but far as I’m concerned, Roger Wittaker owns it.

P.S.
There is a live version, but the original is still the best.

In the course of writing my own post I remembered that the song is called The Force by Kw Griff. Thanks, Zsofia! If you hadn’t solved the first one, I wouldn’t have remembered mine.

One of the first presents my dad gave my mom when they were dating was a Roger Whittaker album. He was in town for their anniversary when I was 15 or so, but dad had something come up at work so I, rolling my eyes, offered to go with my mom. (She was sad - what was I supposed to do?) I was the youngest person there by, like, forty years. It was awesome. Dude puts on a great show. Who’da thunk?

Awesome song. That was my first thought when I saw the beginning of the OP, but then I saw “Sunny”, which didn’t really equate with “my land full of rainy skies and gales.” Then again, he’s leaving the “land of endless sunshine”. I guess that’s where the “sunny” part came from.

Elvis did a good version of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwxWCxh3yU

Zsofia writes:

> I was the youngest person there by, like, forty years.

So your mother was in her forties when you were born?

She was 38.

ETA - oh snap. :slight_smile:

Link to the great version?