What is this thing? (musical instrument seen in Prague)

My dad is in Prague and asked me to find out what this instrument is.

What is a hurdy gurdy, Alex.

I figured it’s been answered, but without looking it up or reading the thread: Hurdy Gurdy.

Yup. Hurdy Gurdy. Played well, the sound is like a baroque violin with a bagpipe drone to it, and can be positively entrancing. Playing it poorly in public, I understand, is outlawed by the Geneva Conventions for a very good reason.

Weird, we both said it sounded like a hurdy gurdy + bagpipes. I guess maybe I’ve only seen hurdy gurdies in cartoons but I’ve never seen one that looked or sounded quite like that. Is it a regional variant?

No, it looks, and sounds as best one can tell, like ones I’ve seen in concert. And like the one in the Wikipedia entry.

Ha! I read the thread title and thought “I bet it’s a hurdy gurdy!”

:cool:

Welp, now “Hurdy Gurdy Man” is stuck in my head for the rest of the day, and that song creeps me out ever since it was used in Zodiac. Thanks a lot!

:smiley:

What a coincidence! I thought the same thing when I read the thread title.

Damn. From the thread title, I was going to guess “hammered dulcimer,” another popular folk instrument in that region of Europe.

I think I met him in a pub in Soho.

I had the “Bet it’s a hurdy-gurdy” thought when I read the title, too.

Hurdy-gurdies always make me think of the Bastille Day tricentennial. The parade, perhaps better termed a pageant, was televised, and it included a unit of marching hurdy-gurdy players, dressed in uniforms that looked rather Napoleonic, IIRC.