What is "threadshitting"?

Wheeeeeeee!

I miss Mnementh.

My cat’s breath smells like cat food.

Insures? Insures?! Try ensures. You sir, are at best a functional illiterate, and unfit to comment on this or any other subject. When come back, bring thesaurus.

Have you heard the expression “tempest in a teacup”? (Or words to that effect?)

According to the Dick, insure, assure and ensure would all work equally well in the quoted context for all but the most anal retentive pedant. I guess that lets us know where you stand on communication. I’d much rather be a functional illiterate.

Sorry guy, it was a thread on threadshitting, and I made a joke that clearly wasn’t good enough to be understood sans smiley. The fault is entirely mine.

Whoosh!

I know Zeldar well. He definitely wooshed here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Every time I see a thread in Cafe Society aboutthe latest event in that stupid, unfunny “comic strip” “For Better or For Worse”, I want to chime in to point out what a worthless piece of shit that space-wasting glurge-strip is.

But I don’t. Because that would be threadshitting. And I’m better than that.

If you started a thread on that (a thread in which I would be beside you on the ramparts), would it be threadshitting for posters to come in and say how good the strip is?

Strangely enough, I don’t think so. I guess because my thread would be about my opinion of the strip; and therefore, other opinions would be welcome.

No, it wouldn’t, at least IMHO. The OP is “For Better or For Worse”, and thus even though it starts as a fan-fest, alternate opinions are justified.

But if someone wanted us to list “Your 5 fave comic strips” and some dude listed “For Better or For Worse” as his very favorite. Then you “chimed in to point out what a worthless piece of shit that space-wasting glurge-strip is” then you’d be threadshitting; as the OP is about your Five favorite strips.

You know if I could tell the characters apart, I might like it, but as is, I think it* is* a worthless piece of shit that space-wasting glurge. :stuck_out_tongue:

But we digress. Can we threadshit in a thread about threadshitting? :smiley:

Ewwww, you guys are shitting over the ramparts? I suppose you’ll make some charwoman go out and scrub the stains off the wall in the face of the invading hordes, right? You men are all alike.

Well, in the threads that I’m thinking of, the OPs are something like “Can you believe what Michael just did?”. Not “Why do I like this piece-of-shit strip?” :stuck_out_tongue:
These are threads designed for fans of this shitty-ass strip to discuss the latest developments. Me dropping in to point out how stupid this strip is would be like me interjecting myself into a book club discussing a Dan Brown book and taking a dump on the coffee table that’s in the middle of them.

But that’s just MHO.

Yes, then it likely is threadshitting. IMHO. :smiley:

For relevant examples, I thought this thread was rather amusing (note posts #1 and #21 and some of the intervening contributions).

There are instances though, where something is technically threadshitting, but is in fact also pertinent advice. For example in the case of someone asking “I want to drill a hole in my head, should I use a spade or auger bit?”, replying “drilling a hole in your head is a really bad idea, please just don’t do it!” is threadshitting - but it’s also the right answer.

For accurate placement of cranial holes, a brad-point bit works best.

No need to apologize, Bill Door. I got the spirit of your post and decided to play along with the indignation theme you raised. All in the spirit (if not the letter) of the thread itself. Thanks to Rysto and NoClueBoy for rescuing the thread from what might have become a pissing contest over which one of us would have confessed first to just “playing the game” of the thread.

I think the passage of mine you quoted and some of the follow-up tangents indicate quite well how intent can get dumped pretty quickly when feelings get raised. It becomes a real challenge to try to maintain the “spirit of the thread” along with a sense of decorum when one’s ego has been stepped on.

As far as I am concerned, no kidding here, a major reason for poor communications here and elsewhere on the internet is the fine line between irony, clever repartee, functional illiteracy and hair-trigger egos. Experience with the people involved in such escapes from sanity is about all that can save a thread or a theme.

FWIW, Bill Door, I had seen enough of your earlier “style” here at SDMB to suspect you were just funning around and I chose to use my sense of where you were coming from to “play along.” If that exchange left you feeling as if I had taken you seriously, I will also apologize for the sake of any dangling nerve damage.

Cheers! (Now I have to wonder if I’m being whooshed, too! :rolleyes: )

Hmm. Interesting thought. As I ponder (weak and weary), however, I think I’ll disagree: it’s not even technically threadshitting. Our definition (vague as it may be):

The threadshitter belittles the topic or the people discussing it. The prime example is a discussion of fictional characters (“Why did Raskolnikov kill the old ladies?”) and a threadshitter says, “It’s only fictional, why are you idiots discussing it?” The comment is true: it is fictional. What makes it threadshitting is the tone and attitude (belittling and denigrating), rather than the content of the comment. On t’other hand, a comment such as, “I don’t think that it’s a very interesting book,” isn’t threadshitting, but is making a legit comment.

Someone who says, “Drilling holes in your head is a bad idea” isn’t dismissing the discussion or the people; it may be dismissing the idea, but that’s not threadshitting.