What is Tinnitus a symptom of?

Last week I was treated for atrial fibrillation. I am seeing a medical professional and am not seeking medical advice, I’m just curious. Of the many many questions that they asked me, most of them made sense except the one about whether I had ringing in my ears (I do not.) They were pretty busy and I didn’t want to interrupt, but now I’m curious - why would ringing in my ears be associated with atrial fibrillation?

Well, according to WebMD, atrial fibrillation can be one of the symptoms of coronary artery disease. Also according to WebMD, a certain kind tinnitus can be caused by vascular problems in the face in neck. So, my WAG is that they wanted to see how extensive your heart problems are.

Hope you feel better!

I’m sure one of the real human medicine types will be along to correct me if this is completely off base.

I see a lot of people with atrial fibrillation and can’t say I’d consider the question important (or even relevant, frankly). I suppose that if someone already had tinnitus, it could be worsened by aspirin (with aspirin sometimes used to prevent clots arising from the atrial fibrillation, and one symptom of aspirin toxicity being tinnitus).