What is your absolute, A#1, all time favorite song?

Sky Blue and Black by Jackson Browne

“You’re the hidden cost and the thing that’s lost
In everything I do
Yeah and I’ll never stop looking for you”

What a great thread. I can’t wait to listen to all these new songs
mine would be

“Green Eyes” Coldplay
“Coat of Mail” Harry Manx
“Strange Condition” Pete Yorn

Thanks again for the thread

More Than a Feeling - Boston

Fake Plastic Trees” - Radiohead
Wish You Were Here” - Pink Floyd
An Cat Dubh” - U2

…and Christ on a cracker NOTOpen Arms!”

Sorry PunditLisa

Lots of great songs mentioned here.

Very hard to pick just one, but my A#1 I’d die if I never heard it again song is:

Over the Rainbow- Judy Garland

That one’s always struck a chord, ever since the first time I heard it at age 4 or so.

Motion Picture Soundtrack by Radiohead.

It’s beautiful. It IS the song that you hear when you’re ascending to your next life, if such a thing exists. I’m absolutely sure of it. Listen to it, and see what I mean.

What’s wrong with schmoozy pop ballads? I like it too, even though it’s not my favorite. :wink:
CJ

Sorry, Blassie, “Open Arms” is a most awesome tune. Not only does Steve Perry kick it out of the ballpark with his incredible pipes, but it brings back awesome memories of a certain guy who wore the best smelling cologne in the world…

Can I shake your hand, Mr. Grundy? “Sweet Thing” is MY A#1 all-time favorite song! I heard “Sweet Thing” late at night in a friend’s room in college after a night of debauchery and thought it was the most transcendantly beautiful expression of what true love should be like. The next morning, I got up and went downstairs to my friend’s room and borrowed the CD. I’ve been a Van Morrison fan ever since.

I’m narrowing it down to three- thats the best I can do.
*The Passenger * by Iggy Pop. Fav. version performed by Siouxsie & the Banshees. This song is so good, and I’m so ignorant that I have thought for YEARS that Bob Dylan wrote it. sorry Iggy…:smack:

*A Boy Named Sue * by Shel Silverstein and performed by Johnny Cash- great song, wonderfully written and makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

“Lies” by Violent Femmes- see below signature quote, its probably not my favorite song but it has my favorite phrase in any song.

“City of New Orleans” as performed by Willie Nelson

“Free Money”- Patti Smith

“Left of the Dial”- The Replacements

If we are talking about the music of popular culture, as opposed to operatic arias or religious music(God, I love Handel) my choice would be “Time in a Bottle” by Jim Croce.

If we are talking about the music of popular culture, as opposed to operatic arias or religious music(God, I love Handel) my choice would be “Time in a Bottle” by Jim Croce.

72 replies so far and no votes yet for “Stairway to Heaven”? I know it was played about every 15 minutes on every radio station in the world for about 15 years, but it’s still one of the greatest songs of all time.

Next on the list would be "Bell Bottom Blues by Derek and the Dominoes, and Pink Floyd’s “Fearless”

Stairway to Heaven seems to me like it can’t get it’s message straight.

No wait - Money isn’t everything!

No wait - LSD!

No wait - Life is difficult!

Silly. Motion Picture Soundtrack all the way!