What is your Comfort Food Breakfast?

Ivylad likes these too…there’s a non-Dunkin Donuts shop nearby which makes a superior doughnut. However, I treat them like dessert, not breakfast (now give me my lemon-filled doughnut.)

Pringles with a bowl of ice cream.

That needs a slice of Spam or some bacon.

All of these sound pretty good to me. I love breakfast.

If I had to choose, real corned beef hash made with big lumps of shredded corned beef, topped with two poached or over-easy eggs, a thick slice (or 2) of toasted homemade bread, well buttered, and a pot of coffee.

Ew! :eek:

I once had a girlfriend (Swiss) who was appalled at my eating leftover omelettes cold first thing in the morning:

SGF: How can you eat that for breakfast?!?

ME: Mmmmmmm. Tastes just like cold pizza!

Either EBCB or a semi-full English fry-up, American-style.

The fry-up is typically eggs hard, hash brown patty, grilled tomatoes, sausage, beans, grilled mushrooms, toast, tea. And a Bloody Charlie.

Breakfast of Champions!

Breakfast makes me sick. I might as well swallow food and go directly back to bed, it’s a blood sugar thing. But on the rare occasion I am home and have nothing to do for anyone or any chores to do or go out and drive somewhere, I like a broken fried egg, with a slice of swiss cheese melted over. A shake of hot sauce, on a buttered English muffin. A sausage patty or link if I can steal it from the old man. Then I go read post secrets online, watch an old Hollywood musical, and maybe doze off for an hour or so…heaven, in the winter…

Now, here’s a question, I haven’t had good biscuits and white sausage gravy for years. Everywhere I’ve gone, every diner, every little hole in the wall, every truck stop, the white gravy is pasty and gluey, with tiny flecks of what I think is sausage, over a strawberry-shortcake biscuit. Do restaurants all order a big bag of white paste from some central location? It USED to be my favorite brunch thing, but it’s not good any more.

Are you pregnant?

I don’t think so. :confused: They’re just convenient.

Puts lead in yer pencil, eh? :wink:

Very likely, just like chipped beef for SOS. If you can’t find a place which says up front that they make everything from scratch first thing in the morning and to order, you’re better off giving biscuits and gravy a miss.

Real chipped beef on toast is a lovely thing too, BTW. :o

Lots of scrambled eggs and lots of white bread toast. Anything that goes with that will depend on what kind of day I have ahead:

1. Light, stay in the house - butter, jam, peanut butter, fruit
  2. Going out to work - mixed grill (onions, celery bell pepper, sausages)
  3. Heavy work - sausages, bacon, fried chicken, anchovies
  4. Setting out on a journey, not sure when I’ll have another hot breakfast - all of the above.

No kidding. Real SOS is delicious.

To my great surprise, I had a really good free breakfast at the Buena Park Fairfield Inn hotel this last weekend. The usual minimum stuff available, but they had fresh biscuits and gravy, and it was really good sausage gravy. Like the cook knew what they were doing and cared about what they put out in the free breakfast. Made my day, it did.

I loved it when my dad served it to me when I was little. I couldn’t understand why he didn’t particularly like it until he told me that he had had it almost every day when he was in the Army. :frowning:

You’ve all just reminded me that I have not yet made SOS for my two little boys. I will fix that on Sunday.

I think I was the only guy in the Navy that liked SOS. Even the crap ground beef version, yum!

Really? When I was in the Army, it was quite popular.

Ivygirl, currently in basic training, wrote that she wants me to make my SOS when she gets home. She says the SOS in basic truly tastes like shit…so they must get their mix the same place as the diners do.

SOS mix? Mess hall SOS back in the day was chipped beef or ground beef in white sauce. The sauce, I expect, was probably just cornstarch and milk. SOS seems a dish it would be impossible to foul up, but you put a multi-billion dollar military to the task and I guess anything is possible.

Or feeding what, several thousand recruits in an hour? I’m sure short cuts will be made.

What cornstarch? Every military recipe I’ve ever seen uses flour and milk. Good cooks will add a few spices other than the standard salt and pepper, and maybe sauté a few onions in the beef fat as well.