What is your favorite live music recording

Gosh where to start:

• The Who “Magic Bus” from “Live at Leeds”
  • Blue Oyster Cult “Last Days of May” from “On Your Feet or On Your Knees”
  • Pat Travers “Born Under a Bad Sign” from “Stick with What You Know”
  • Tower of Power “Soul Vaccination” from “Soul Vaccination”
  • UFO “Rock Bottom” from “Strangers in the Night”
  • Allman Brothers Band “Mountain Jam” from “Live at Fillmore East” (CD full version)
  • Talking Heads “Once in a Lifetime” from “Stop Making Sense” soundtrack

More as I think of them

I’ll post up some jazz and some YouTube video tomorrow. For now I want to add something from The Last Waltz, it is tough because there are a lot of good choices. It has my favorite version of Helpless, Caravan, Up on Cripple Creek and Wheel on Fire.

Ultimately though I’m going with I Shall Be Released- by the Band, Bob Dylan and a whole lot of other people.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse “Year Of The Horse”

“It’s all one song” says Neil on the album acknowledging that the songs all blend together.

Rush “Marathon” from A Show of Hands.

Riffing on the theme:

Tears for Fears - “Year of the Knife”

Les McCann Compared to What

From The Band’s Last Waltz album:

The Weight (featuring the Staple Singers).
mmm

Zeppelin’s Dazed and Confused, from a Danish TV recording in '68.

Eagles’ The Long Run, from the Eagles: Live album.

David Gilmour (and a couple guests) performing Shine On You Crazy Diamond, from the Remember That Night - Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD.

“Come together” John Lennon and the plastic ono band live at Madison Square Garden. I don’t where to find it…I 've only seen a video of it, probably from the movie ‘Imagine’ It’s cool cause he forgets some of the words and makes up knew ones

“Bastille Day”, “Lakeside Park”, and especially “By-Tor and the Snow Dog” by Rush, from “All The World’s a Stage.”

Try the Faces version from Long Player. Cuts Paul back, down and sideways…

So many good ones from Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band Nine Tonight
I’ll go with “Feel Like a Number”

From Eddie Money’s Greatest Hits: The Sound of Money the live version of “Where’s the Party?”

From Classic Yes the live version of “Roundabout”

And finally, from Kenny Loggins Alive - “Love Has Come of Age”

Cheap Trick has to be on this playlist somewhere. I’m not too much for most live albums, but Cheap Trick sounded better on live recordings.

Assuming you’re sick of all the usual hits from the At Budokan record, I’ll recommend “Hello There” to provide a powerful opening to at least the rockin part of your live album playlist.

Saw California Honeydrops locally last year, fun band, Cry For Me was one of my favorite tunes,

Big Love, Fleetwood Mac (just Buckingham, actually), The Dance

Castilian Drums, Brubeck Quartet, Carnegie Hall

“Grand Canyon” from Drive-By Truckers It’s Great to Be Alive, disc 3. I’m pretty sure you can hear me on that track. :wink:

sssssscreEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMM FOR ME LONG BEACH!

Really all of Iron Maiden’s Live after Death

But specifically Phantom of the Opera and *Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner *

I remember Billy Price! I used to see him around the D.C area. Always liked “You Can’t Get Blood From A Stone.”

He taught around southwestern PA for a long time, had a few bands, was quite active. Don’t know what he’s up to recently though. Here’s a cut from one of his most successful ventures.

To keep on-topic:

Eli’s Coming - Three Dog Night, in this YouTube video

Sure would like to get a good copy of that performance. Their live album performance wasn’t the same.

The Ecstasy of Gold – Ennio Morricone
Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream) – Roy Orbison (and the best backing band you’ve ever seen)