What is your favourite non-English quotation?

Maybe, “entrar” would be “to enter” but you can say just “enter” to someone and it would work the same as “entre” in spanish.
“salir” could be “to exit”? not so sure.
“Enter” does allow for redundance, “enter inside” seems grammatically valid, but I don’t think it’s used.

“salir” can also be “leave” (one word, again), but I think in the phrase “salga afuera” it would be just translated as “go”: “go out.” But I was referring to the fact that there are English single-word translations of the Spanish, though as always none will work in every context.

I really like the Serbian saying “Ko s Djavolom tikve sadi, o glavu se mu lupaju” - He who plants pumpkins (or squash) with the Devil will have those pumpkins smash against his head. I.E., if you do business with bad people, it’ll work against you. The point is a good one and the image is a colorful one.

^ And if you lose, the Devil gits yer soooooooooul.

My favorite is obvious.

peccavi

It always struck me that something in each reflected stereotypical national character: one could imagine a laidback/world-weary Professore E Pericoso Sporgersi merely advising you of the danger, but a fearsomely moustached Prussian General Nicht-Hinauslehnen barks an order, while something in the rhythm of the French version suggested a flirtatiously finger-wagging Mme. Ne Pas Se Pencher Au-Dehors.

Right you are.

THANK YOU for the correction! And now I think maybe that sounds familiar anyway, like I should have remembered it. My last Russian class was 40 years ago, I’m afraid I’m rusty. Everybody – what Topologist said.

Here’s one I just remembered - one I like a lot. It’s widely advertised as Greek, but I’ve never seen it in the original language:

" A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit."

j

Wow. The only NYC Subway related Spanish I can remember from my youth (the late 1980s, specifically) is no se apoye contra la puerta, along with a stick figure type drawing of a guy leaning on a subway door with one foot up behind him.

And the main reason I can remember that is the time a friend of mine looked around after the doors shut on a slightly crowded train, then casually said, “Fuck it, I’m just gonna me apoyo contra la puerta for a few stops.”

Posting without reading thread first…

“Quando omni flunkus moritati”

Possum Lodge motto, quasi-Latin for “When All Else Fails, Play Dead.”

Since most ‘quotes’ are merely trite, snappy sayings designed to imply that nearly all problems can be solved by the application of a single catchphrase, I’m going for the classic (schoolboy)Latin reply to any unanswerable question:

‘Quantum ille canis est in fenestre’?

(first proposed by that Great Scholar N. Molesworth.)

Tut tut. “In fenestrA”, as any fule kno.

Take 100 lines.

As the self-contradictory Wikipedia article points out, it means something very different in China than in Russia.

Not only that, but “quantum” is asking “how much” in terms of mass, which is an odd question about a dog in a window (doggie = caniculus).

Quanti caniculus in fenestra? Ille cum cauda agitabili?

Of course, on second thoughts it could be “apud fenestram”, except that it doesn’t quite fit the tune.

I originally had “caniculum per fenestram video” but changed it so it would more or less scan.

Chiz.

Memento mori.