What is your initial impression of people with ADHD?

I haven’t encountered too many people with ADD or ADHD. One person seemed extremely in control of it, and behaved no differently to anyone else I’ve known, and in fact she was extremely nice and easy to get along with.

Another person was frenetic and wouldn’t stand still or stop talking as long as somebody else was in ear-shot; he constantly rearranged his room and cleaned his car. I found him to be somewhat difficult to deal with for longer than a few minutes.

Conclusion: I wouldn’t pre-judge, it could manifest in any number of ways and may be no big deal; but I might privately ascribe any quirks in your behaviour to your condition.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less if someone has a particular disorder. Some people have various disorders and I get along with fine, some people don’t have anything wrong with them, and they’re intolerable. I’ve had a coworker that had Tourette’s, and he’d have his ticks, his verbal ones I could hear, but they were unobtrusive. Really, I noticed it, and thought it was a little odd, but that was about all I thought of it until he mentioned he had Tourette’s. He was fine to get along with either way, all it did was offer an explanation for his ticks.

Similarly, I’ve had a coworker that we suspected was on the Autism spectrum. Some people found him unbearably annoying, but I was friends with him, even if he had a few annoying characteristics. We never did find out if he was officially diagnosed, but I didn’t care.

I don’t think ADHD would strike me as much different than any of that. Maybe some of the behaviors would be a bit irritating from time to time, but I tend to be very tolerable and understanding of that kind of stuff, so I’ve quickly figure out a way to adjust. It would only be a problem if the behaviors became really disruptive, but that would more be a sign that the person probably didn’t have it well under control and may not be suited for an office job.

Of course, some people are liars, irritating, stupid, and just … off whether they have ADHD or not. A diagnosis does not excuse or explain all character faults.

Well, I was diagnosed with ADHD two years ago (age 35) so if you were to tell me you had ADHD, I’d want to talk with you about it and share tips for managing it. I wouldn’t judge you at all for just having it (how could I?!), and not at all if you seemed to have it under control. But if you routinely *acted *really hyperactive, impulsive, etc., I would think you’re not managing the disorder very well and you should really get that in check, like a responsible member of society, and probably with a :dubious: look on my face while doing so. So, yeah, I’d judge that. :slight_smile:

Myself, I brought up my diagnosis to my own supervisor after my diagnosis, because we’re fairly open about personal stuff between us and she not only knew I had problems attending to my work, but she has the same problems herself. (We’ve talked quite about ADHD since then and she believes she has it, too, except she’s always been hyperactive, while I have the Inattentive subtype.) I also told the coworkers I’m friends with, mostly as a way to give them some context for my spaciness. (Things like all the times I passed them in the hall without saying hi – I didn’t mean to be rude, I was just lost in my thoughts and not aware of my surroundings.)

But I only brought it up to my Big Boss when I was seeking permission to make some changes to my office space that were a little beyond the norm, and I wanted to explain why it was important for me to reduce sensory distractions. ADHD is not an ADA-protected class, but I believe that if one has a reasonable manager, one should be able to make reasonable requests for accommodations that will improve productivity. (In my case, I have a lot of noise distraction the way my office is currently arranged, and I asked if I could rearrange it and be allowed to purchase sound-proofing measures with company funds, and my manager said yes.)

There have been times in staff meetings when the conversation has called for the perspective of someone with ADHD, but I’ve never identified myself as such to the entire staff because A) it’s none of their business, B) I don’t want them to think less of me, or ever think I’m using that as an excuse should I make a mistake on the job.

My close family knows (in part because two of them were my references in the process of diagnosis), but I haven’t said anything to my extended family because I’m not close with them and it’s none of their business.

I have the exact same problem with my boss, and she not only acknowledges that she probably has ADHD, she has asked me for the contact info of the psychologist who diagnosed me so she could get tested for it. But she has never taken that step, and it’s really hard for me to deal with her because of it – like, her symptoms alone are really bad and frequently make working with her (and sharing a tiny office with her :() miserable, but knowing she knows she has a problem and could easily get help for it and doesn’t, makes it so much worse.

PS: The “noise distraction” I mentioned in the post above is 95% my boss. I want to move my desk so it’s out of the path to her desk and out of her line of sight when she’s seated, so maybe (MAYBE) she won’t talk to me constantly and interrupt my work every five minutes, goddamnit.

Very true. I was kinda sorta trying to give her the benefit of the doubt that these traits are beyond her control. I know it doesn’t sound like it, but I don’t dislike her, per se, I just don’t er, mesh with her I guess.

There’s still HIPAA, right? Just checking.

+1

The first person I knew that had ADHD was a college professor and she appeared to be self-centered. I don’t know if this was a personality trait of people with ADHD, but I came to the conclusion it was just her regardless of the ADHD, because I later got to know a guy who had ADHD and he wasn’t self-centered at all. His came across as being hyper, but to be honest I think it’s refreshing for someone to show excitement in their work.

I don’t think people with ADHD are less capable. There are so many different types of personality traits for people and I don’t believe the first reaction for most people is to label them as being ADHD or some other kind of condition. The people that would be able to immediately do that would be those who are familiar with those who have those conditions, if they weren’t a trained professional.

In my opinion, I would not disclose this to employers and certainly not during the interview phase. Because it’s none of their business. Having a condition like ADHD isn’t like a tattoo where it is always there, constant and highly noticeable.

The only aspect of having ADHD I would judge you for is how you are managing it. If you take responsibility for it and actively work to minimize its impact on your life and other people’s lives, I’ll respect you for that.

I sympathize, oh how I sympathize. I don’t think I have ADHD (at least I don’t think I do…my attention span has always been on the short side, though), but my boss leaves me drained everytime I talk to her. Because I’m an introvert who is a linear thinker, her inabiity to articulate well-formed thoughts in an organized manner means I’m constantly scambling, trying to mentally translate what she says into something my brain can comprehend. If I don’t attempt to translate, my natural impulse is to tune her out and just mutter “ok” in all the right places.

If I could see even the tiniest indication she was trying to manage her condition in an adult manner, I would be a lot more compassionate.

Some of us were diagnosed as adults.

He probably does have Tourette’s or at least a vocal tic disorder. I have Tourette’s and it involves both vocal and motor tics.

To other posters, let’s assume it’s a heads up and not blurted out after doing something dumb or irritating others. Of course that’s making excuses.

If the person who says they have ADHD wants me to participate in any special accommodations for them or thinks they should be excused from things like being organized and punctual or refraining from being disruptive, I would be maximally nonplussed. If one’s disability gets in the way of doing a particular job properly, I believe one ought to find a job that is a better fit.

If there’s nothing they want me to do differently, why are they telling me at work?

Actually, if they are the boss, scratch all that, because delegating responsibility to those better-suited is perfectly appropriate.

That probably made a lot of sense, but I lost track of it halfway through.

Where’s that damn squirrel?

That would depend what kind of work environment it’s , if you had to drive a forklift I might want to stay out of your way . My ex husband had ADHD he was all over the road when he drove. He was once pulled b/c the police thought he was drunk . He kept taking his eyes off the road to look at thing.
I would be going :eek: a lot .

I know. That’s why I said it’s a rebuttable assumption.

I don’t need to know, don’t want to know, don’t care about your medical diagnoses, your sexual orientation, your personal dramas. I am there to work, not make friends. I do my job, you do yours. We get paid. That’s how it works. When did oversharing about everything become a thing. Just do your damn job, if you can’t go home.

Why would you even care? Not all ADHD is noticable!

Phu Cat

I assume someone telling me that they have ADHD is warning me that they may act a little odd sometimes. It really shouldn’t be a taboo subject these days since almost anybody could get diagnosed with something on the ADD spectrum and so many already have. In this case the OP is going to school for a degree in medicine and I wouldn’t think at school or the jobs she’s considering that anyone would care much.