What is your IQ?

It’s worth noting that IQ tests are not standardized. According to MENSA, unless two people take exactly the same test their scores can’t be directly compared. I was tested a few times as a kid (presumably just for my parent’s amusement, because I can’t imagine a practical reason for it). On test 2 I scored 20 points lower than test one, but was told that was a better score - it put me in a higher percentile. So a person who claims to have an IQ of 160 might by in the top 4%, and someone who has been tested at 140 might be in the top 0.5% - a much more impressive result.

ONE MILLION.

Seriously, I’ve never been tested. I have no idea.

Had it tested when I was 11 by a school psychologist, and scored at 145.

I have indulged in IQ-eating activities in the 30 years that followed. I took the 16PF Factor B “reasoning ability” test two years ago and scored 95%, but not sure how that relates to IQ.

Not a clue. There were all sorts of test done on me, and that I had to perform, throughout my childhood and teens, and I don’t believe I was ever shown a single result.

I assume I am a latent genius who has yet to blossom.

Hey, me too. What are the odds?! And we meet here, of all places!

• never tested.

I took what I believe was the Stanford-Binet test (red and white blocks, put the picture stories in order) a couple of times when I was in grade school but never got the results; the only firm confirmation I have is the PSATs from 1987 when I scored in the top .5%, and from 1988 when I scored in the top 1%. Where’s that put me on the polling scale? No freakin’ idea.

After one particular test I bugged my dad to tell me what the results were and he finally broke down and told me the upper 160s, but twenty years on I’ve come to regard the source as highly unreliable. I know I’m smahtuh than the average bear, but that’s about it.

I don’t know how common IQ testing is in schools. I’m about your age, though - born 1969, educated in public schools in the state of Georgia (USA.) I know that mine was tested by a school-based professional when I was in fifth grade (1979) because I was changing school systems, and was tested for inclusion in the system’s “gifted” program. Based on what I know now, it seems to have been a fairly professional test - oral, not written, and I was given credit for not just my answers, but the way that I arrived at them. (As an example, the only question I recall from this particular test was being asked to define the word “prestidigitation.” I remember breaking down the word into its roots, and providing an answer based on my conclusions about what I thought I knew about the roots “presti-” and “digit.” The teacher - who held a doctorate in psychology - seemed impressed with my answer, even though it was wrong. I think I basically defined the word as “the act of being nimble.” Or “having deformed hands, with too many fingers, kind of like Ann Boleyn.”)

After that testing, I was enrolled in advanced classes, and even offered the opportunity to skip a grade. My mom declined skipping a grade, but my brother, sister, and I were all tested several times in the following year or so as part of a university study - apparently something about heredity, environment, etc. as it related to intelligence. We all tested highly, but my mother never revealed exact numbers. She did tell me, years later, what I already suspected: My brother and sister were evaluated with higher IQ scores than mine, and mine was measured a number of times as falling within the high 150s or low 160s.

I also took the SAT in seventh grade, as part of a Duke University program, and scored reasonably well; and tested in a high percentile on the PSAT in eleventh grade and SAT in my senior year.

I’ve killed a few brain cells since then.

They tried to measure mine, but kept coming up with an imaginary number…

I took a MENSA sanctioned test, sometime when I was in my mid-30s (now mid-50s) but I can’t remember which of the standard ones it might be. Reported score 156, so definitely in the top 2%, maybe even 1%.

Very gifted on the test, but a holey memory. Ask me the rego number of my first car and I can tell you, but ask me what I had for lunch on Monday and I draw a blank.

I was another one of those tested as a child. I remember being taken out of class with about four other kids, and we just seemed to be being taught stuff by a different teacher. Apparently we were being tested.

Afterwards the school recommended that I be put in a school for the gifted. However, my parents decided to keep me in the mainstream school so I just skipped a year instead. Was it the right decision? I don’t know. I’m pretty happy with how my life has panned out, but I probably could have made a lot more of myself had I been the right environment.

Doesn’t it matter which scale is used? I have tested at 155 on Stanford- Binet, but on a different scale I cannot remmber the name of I was in the 130’s

My standard answer to all such silly questions on the SDMB.

Or, IOW, reduce by the appropriate divisor, and you have it. Large enough, but I’ll never tell.

I call bs on 3 kids in the same family with IQs over 160. I didn’t crunch any numbers, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was statistically unlikely that there ever has been. And PSAT or SAT scores in the top 1% (around 2250 or higher, IIRC) don’t indicate super-genius level intelligence. In a decent high school there are dozens of kids per year with those scores; it’s not that amazing.

134 as measured maybe in junior high or early high school.

Aged 17, tested in prison, 170.

I was told it was the highest score yet seen, and got mocked by the other inmates for still ending up behind bars.

Mensa accepts people who score in the top 2% of a standardized IQ test. So, while Mensa doesn’t say that it will accept people who score over, say, 140, if someone has documentation that they’ve scored in the 98th or 99th percentile in one of the standardized IQ tests, they’re eligible for Mensa membership.

While a person’s numerical score might vary from one test to another, the percentile score doesn’t vary that much, from what I understand.

God this is so true - it took me so long to realize that intelligence is potential, nothing more. You still have to work for whatever you achieve and results are the only things that matter (“if you’re so smart, how come you aren’t X?”)…strange how having a kid who starts to exhibit the same behaviors helped deepen my appreciation of that :wink:

I had my IQ tested when I was a kid; I don’t recall what it was and am not sure it would apply to my grown-up self…

Really? Mine was irrational.

ETA: I lived with someone who was getting a postgraduate counseling degree, so I was a psychometry guinea pig for her and her fellow students. They never did tell me how I did.

Wait, is this poll in Base 10 or Octal!

Nerd alert! :slight_smile:

When are we going to do a poll on SAT scores? :rolleyes: