What is your monthly car payment?

$300. I could have gotten much less, maybe half that, but I was borrowing the money from my parents and I really don’t feel good about stretching them out the way I would I bank. And I’ll probably get tired of having the debt and pay the whole lot off in July, anyway. I don’t want to carry the debt for another 16 months.

0 - I always pay cash for cars.

Had a Ford, paid it off. Bought a Chevy for cash a little while back. I haven’t had a car payment in years.

About 205 on a 48 month for my Miata.

Since my divorce 14 yrs ago, my car payment has been ZERO except for 30 months.
That car loan was needed to rebuild my credit and I paid it off 6 months early. I think the payment was $130 but I paid $150.
I buy clean cars with around 100K miles and keep them until repair costs escalate. I do most of my own repairs and I have 2 vehicles which helps greatly when one needs a repair.
But; I’m realizing I won’t be able to do this when I retire, so I’m calculating how big of a loan to get to afford a better car that will last (hopefully) to be my last one.
I think a more revealing question would be; what percent of your income goes to non-mortgage debt?

That’s actually at the top of my list already! :cool:

Voted 350-400 because I had payments in the neighborhood of $380 for my car (it’s paid off). Purchase price was $19k, I put down $7k and financed the remaining $12k for 36 months to get it over with.

Same reason that books are so much more expensive here - they charge that amount because they can.

$0. Never had a car payment. Never owned a new car (the first few I owned were pretty crappy because my budget was quite small).

I buy junkers with 100-400K on them for cheap. My latest purchase is a 1994 Subaru with 246K. I got it for $800. It runs well but needs some minor work. That will cost me about $400. It replaces a 1995 Buick that got totaled.

I still own my 2nd car it is a 1964 VW Baja. I have no idea how many miles on it. I know it is over 300K since I have put that many miles on it myself. I paid $300 for it in1976.

When I first got married My wife and I both had 0 cerdit since we both paid cash for everything. So we bought a Buick on credit even though we had the cash to buy it with. We paid extra on it. This built us up enough credit that we could buy a house. It is the only car we ever bought on credit.

I am a mechanic so I can fix any break downs my cars have. Still it boggles my mind that my neighbors have two cars with $1200 total monthly payments. That is about what my house payment is.

Zero on three or four cars, depending on how you count mostly-complete projects.

Haven’t had a car or mortgage payment in many years. I think car payments are financial backbreakers for far too many people.

Bolding mine. This doesn’t necessarily have to be the case. The last car I financed, a 2008 Nissan Altima, I bought new, putting down $10,000 and financing $16,683.50 at 3.9% interest for 36 months. My payment was $491.82 and I rounded it up to $500 every month. At the end of the loan period, I had paid a total of $1,200 more than the loan amount. $1,200 isn’t nothing, but compared to the cost of the car, it’s negligible. Over 36 months it’s only an extra $33/month, $1/day. Hardly a ton of extra money.

We paid for my wife’s new car outright this year, but we happened to have the cash available.

Mine has been paid off for a while now. I don’t even remember what the monthly payments were before I paid it off.

Yeah, our current new car we got a ridiculous interest rate, plus the first four months payments paid. Or something like that. I think the interest rate is less than 2%. I’m sure that there’s a way to work that all out to NPV to show what we really paid for the car, but I don’t recall enough of that part of college.

We own both of our cars outright.

5 more payments!! I had the horrible bad luck to total my car just as the financial crisis, meltdown whatever happened. Within a week of it. I bought that car with 0% for 60 mos. so my credit was good. But NO ONE was lending. They offered my 9.5% (1 year old car at the dealer), I walked, they came back with 7.4% and I needed a car. Dammit.

$248. It’ll likely go up to 300-something when I trade it in for something else late summer.

$0, 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback. My parents bought it for me.

I too drive a Fit, it’s a 2009 and I love it. Also my first new car. No idea how much the payment on it would have been because I bought it with cash. My husband paid $300/month on his used 2008 Civic but now that’s paid off too. It’s really nice not having to worry about any car payments. We can now take the money we would have used on monthly payments and save it for our next car. I’m planning to keep my Fit at least 8-10 years before I look for something new, possibly longer. However long she lasts.

FYI, Hondas tend to have really good resale value. I know you say you aren’t worried about that, but it will no doubt be helpful when it comes time for a trade-in.

Same here.