What kind of dog do I have? (with pics!)

We’ve had our dog Maggie for about 8 years now. We got her through a humane society in Miami. We have no idea what type of dog she is, nor does anyone else. Even the various vets who have seen her ask us what kind she is. The vets all seem to see some Basenji in her. We’ve also heard she may have some Dingo blood as well. She’s very good with kids, was very active when younger and never did bark much. So Doper dog fans: Any ideas what kind of dog we have?

http://usera.imagecave.com/scruloose/DSCF0002.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/scruloose/DSCF0030.JPG

In the close up of her face , my first thought was Australian Cattle Dog mix . The facial build is very similar . Perhaps some German Shepherd in there somewhere . Her color IS very Dingo-like , but it is hard for me to imagine where that might have scome from .

She is a very cute girl , and you are lucky to have one another ! May you have many more years together .

Anna

Maybe she has some Carolina Yellow dog in there?
http://members.petfinder.org/~MD149/Spotlightyellowdog.html

Scruloose, you have an assorted mixed breed dog. Mongrel, hienz, whatever you want to call her. When you combine many breeds, you get back to the “original type” dog, which is generally a medium sized, short coated, prick eared, brownish dog. Features eveolved from this depending on location, for example, this dog grew a heavier coat in cold areas. There’s no dingo there, but a dingo is a good example of this type of dog. Does that make sense? True dingoes are not exported to the US, and they have a very strong feral/semi feral behaviors that do not lend themselves well to being housepets. But, their appearance is the result of many generations of dogs breeding at will without human intervention.

We have three wonderful mixed-breed dogs. One of them, in particular, is often commented upon because he is strikingly beautiful. We think he might be part Golden Retriever, part Great Pyrenees, maybe a little bit of Chow-Chow. There is no way to know for certain. When people come over and pet him and ask what kind of dog he is, we smile and say “a good dog.”

You have the best breed in the world. It’s a Heinz 57, All-American Mutt! On top of that, you got her through the Humane Society. That ensures the breed mix is genuine, a one-of-a-kind.

Now get the bumper sticker!

Thanks all for the prompt replies. I guess we were under the impression that she was primarily of one breed, with a breed or two mixed in. Now I see she’s probably quite a few breeds. She’s a great dog who has taken well care of us over the years - a shame she didn’t have puppies.

[QUOTE=a shame she didn’t have puppies.[/QUOTE]

I can’t believe I just read that.

We think we’ve got a black lab/pit bull/whippet. He’s crazy and great, he’s crazy great! :slight_smile:

Looks like a big brown doggie to me…

As watchdogps says, if you mix a lot of different breeds, you will end up with something that is thought to look like the ancestral or primitive dog, very much like the classic southern '“Yaller Dog” - which seems to fit your dog.

Dingos, basenjis, southeast Asian “pariah” dogs, and others are all similar looking “primitive” breeds thought to share many traits with this ancestral dog.

It is controversial whether the Carolina Dog is a true primitive dog breed dating back to pre-Columbian times, or just the result of mixing among feral dogs that went wild later on, but many think it’s the former.

Yup. You’ve got a real, live “yaller dog”.

I was a dog breeder (Great Danes) for 20 years, and spent a lot of time at dog shows. I’m usually pretty good at figuring out the ingredients in a given dog, :cool: but she sure looks like a Carolina Yellow Dog to me. Since the odds are very remote that she actually is (Miami is not a very, very rural area, with large tracts of woods - forests, even - where wild dogs can survive readily), I’m with Colibri.

Oh, yeah … and that’s one of the sweetest faces I’ve seen in a while, and a very good photostudy. :slight_smile: (I wish we had an icon that signifies approval, like thumbs-up or something.)

It may be hard to replace her when the time comes (hopefully a very, very long time from now, and all of them good, healthy years), but if you’re patient in your search, you will find another to adopt which will also be very dear to you, but in his/her own way. Or you may find one that needs a lot of work to make it lovable, but you’ll find that can be immensely rewarding. If you decide that you simply must have another like her, you could investigate the Carolina Yellow Dogs, but that’s a lot more money than the Humane Society adoption fee. And by adopting from them, you know you’re giving a home to a dog which may otherwise die. Such a waste to spend the money on a purebred, when all you want is a loving family pet.

Some of the best news is that Heinz 57 dogs rarely have any congenital weaknesses, and live long, healthy lives when they are in loving homes that supply regular annual checkups with a good vet (following the vet’s advice, if and when it’s offered). And, of course, neutering/spaying usually adds at least 2-3 years to a dog’s lifespan - sometimes much more.

What’s wrong with that, exactly? :confused:

Thanks again all for the informative replies. I never would have guessed that more breeding and mixing would result in a return to an “ancestral” dog; I would’ve figured the opposite. Ignorance fought.

That’s such a great answer.

I love me some muttley dogs. Dogs are Good.

I like the answer, “He’s a wonder dog. When people see him, they say, “I wonder what kind of dog that is?”” :smiley:

I have a dog who looks very similar to this one. He’s from the pound, and they know he is part cattle dog. We guess he is also part alsatian. And I have said in the past he occasionally looks a bit dingo-ish! Freaky.

Anyway, this dog is really cute. Mine is gorgeous too, and he has a beautiful temperament as well as being very smart! Go Bitsas (As in "Bit of Everything"s)!

Also known as the Northeastern Summa Dog - Summa dis, summa dat.

My mutt appears to be mostly Rhodesian Ridgeback, but he doesn’t have a ridge. So, when people ask, naturally I say he’s a Rhodesian Ridgelessback. No one ever gets it. I think because Ridgebacks aren’t well known. Although they should be!

You think that’s something, my mom’s current dog (also a humane society certified pedigreed mutt) seems to be mostly a mix of beagle and German shepherd. But then, he’s also shown hints of lab, pointer, and collie, so who knows? And a very good dog he is, too, and very handsome, to boot.

rpinrd, although I have seen a ridgeback, I would imagine that the ridgeback with which most folks are familiar is the Norwegian Ridgeback. But those are notoriously difficult to raise and keep.

While you guys are doing this, I wonder if you’d help me identify my dog’s breed. Polaris is six months old, about thirty pounds, and when her hair is wet, it has a tendency to kink up as if it wants to curl. Her eyes are green, and she has a curly tail.

She also has a very strong instinct to dig and bury, which I know is stronger in some breeds than others.

I know nothing of her heritage. Her litter was dropped off at the pound shortly after birth. Some of her siblings were brown.

The vet says she’s stumped as to what breed she may be. Any ideas?

(The other dog, the white one, is a Norweigian Elkhound/Golden Retriever mix.)