What kind of fuel do you use in your regular vehicle?

Just curious. Poll is private. Me, my ride (2006 Civic SI) will ping like crazy if I use anything below 93.

I use the highest octane rating I can find, I ride a thirty year old motorcycle. She seems to like it

CAPT

87 for my 2002 Cavalier.

I drive a VW Passat. It prefers premium (91 octane).

Diesel, baby!

(Volkswagen Passat station wagon, Blue Motion diesel, 1000 km on a tank. Your move…)

Both of mine take eighty-nine.

C5 Corvette, Honda VFR800.

No option for ‘Blood of my enemies?’

Oh, all right. 87 octane, then.

74.8 MPG I want one of these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueMotion

Of course “Not available in North America”

CAPT

Highest octane I can find. Car ('02 Nissan Maxima) says “premium fuel recommended for optimum performance,” which means it will adjust to lower octane fuel by retarding the spark timing, which reduces efficiency and peak power. It’s noticeable.

My motorcycle recommends 91, and occasionally pings lightly under WOT conditions. It too will adjust to crap-grade fuel, but I want the availability of max power there even more than I do for the car.

2012 VW Jetta.

Great car, cheap interior. But I get lower 50’s on the highway.

The computer says I get low 40’s (usually 41) all around. I’m ok, because I usually let that turbo go nuts more than I should. Did I say yet that I love this car?

I get the lowest octane available in PA, but I can’t remember what that is…

Almost certainly 87. Don’t know about the mountain West, but in the Eastern U.S., 87’s almost always the octane of ‘regular’ gasoline.

Always 87 in the Prius and the RV (Ford E-350 with a V-8). I used 85 octane in the RV while in the Southwest at higher altitude.

Diesel. 2005 Dodge Ram 2500.

85 octane up here. I’m amazed how many people I know who refuse to run the 85-86 octane stuff, even people who have lived up in mountain country all their lives. It’s usually shooting themselves in the foot mileage-wise because the 87 octane mid-grade is usually 10% ethanol.

Yeah, I think you’re right. But my memory isn’t what it was and so I decided to hedge.

As I drive an RX-8, which has a high-revving rotary engine, I use premium, high-octane fuel. (RX-8 is Mazda)

Breakfast cereal wasn’t listed.

Hippie!! :mad:

I get 93 because 94 doesn’t seem to be available anywhere I live. My car (Audi TT) had a big bright sticker saying premium fuel is required, not just suggested.

Note (and I’m amazed I’m the first to point this out as it always comes up.) Higher octane gas in a car that doesn’t have a high-compression (performance type) engine is only costing you money. I don’t think the Civic Si’s have engines designed to need or really handle the compression and temp required for 93.

Knocking or pinging is also not necessarily indicative of a need for higher octane fuel. Whatever fuel your owner’s manual tells you to put in your car is the octane rating that your engine is designed to run on. Knocking/pinging could quite easily mean something else that you’re ignoring while convincing yourself it’s ‘better’ when you use ‘better’ gas. (I liken this to homeopathy for cars.)

As octane rating goes down, the fuel will detonate at a lower temperature/lower pressure. For high compression engines, it needs to have that little extra bit of leeway before combustion occurs in order to get maximum benefit from the fuel. In a car that doesn’t need it, I don’t see how higher octane could be helpful. I would assume it could cause carbon buildup and would reduce gas mileage.

And holyhell, it’s expensive. Love my car. Loathe the gas pumps.