What kind of puppy should I get if my roomate is allergic

Okay here is the deal I have always wanted a little doggy to go along with my nice little apartment. My roomate is allergic to animals, but agreed to letting me get a doggy as long as it has short hair and doesnt shed all that much (Plus I think he wants a doggy just as much as I do, but won’t admit to it ;)). Anyhow there is another guideline I must follow. My landlord said I could only get a dog if it was of a small size as an adult. When I get the doggy I have to report back to her with its breed and potential adult size and weight. Now here is the thing I need some help in my search for this doggy that fits these tough guidelines … Please if you have any suggestions or any advise please please do help. Any advise would be much appriciated and very welcomed.

Poodles are supposed to be exceptional dogs for people who are allergic. Toy poodles are quite small, too.

POODLES Hummm I should mention that neither one of us wants a POODLE :rolleyes: . But thanks for the advise :slight_smile: I will keep that in mind if we get totally desparate. This might be a tough problems to solve…especially since I like big dumb dog ;).

I think you may be doing both your room-mate and the potential dog a great disservice.

People with allergies usually become much more sensitive with each repeated exposure to the irritant. So while your friend may be “mildly” allergic to animals today, next month he/she may become significantly more intolerant. Animal allergies are mainly caused from exposure to the dust of hair and skin, which will become much more prevalent if you get your way, no matter how often or thoroughly you use a vaccuum cleaner.

As for the dog, how do you propose to keep it from becoming bored, lonely and destructive while you are not at home to supervise it? Will it take to constant barking just to get some attention, while driving the neighbours insane? Isn’t it just a bit selfish to restrict an animal to confined spaces for long periods of time?

Perhaps you had better think through your idea again.

You need to get yerself either a basset hound, or a dachshund. Great dogs.

Dachshunds now that is a dog I simply love! Had one when I was younger…boy was he a hoot. I will keep that one in mind definately.

As for your statement *** DVous Means*** Yes we are aware of all that and have talked all this out. You make it seem as though we will be getting a dog and then just forgetting about it never to acknowlegde its existance. My god we arent that cruel. Trust me he will get out side alot, have plenty of exercise, will not be **“restricted in confined places” **, will always have plenty of attention and the only time he will be alone is when I am in class. Even then he wont be alone because my roommate will be there.

Also we have already made arrangements incase the dog really gets to him. No its not taking him to the humane society either (I will not be dumping this dog off!). If it gets bad he/she (the dog) will stay at my parents house temporally (at least till my lease is up and I could get my own place).

As for the neighbors not a problem she is never there and if I have to listen to the old guys tv all day and smell his stinky cigarettes through our walls (and yes we do and its bad) then he can surely put up with the doggy barks.

One more question for you are you a dog hater or what?? Or just hate the idea of dogs, college, students, and apartments being on huge combo??

I loved my chihuahua. Short hair, and if their’ raised right they are actually very sweet dogs. Spud was very little trouble and played well with others. He would shed a little, but not terribly.

Still, if your roommate has allergies, I’m not sure any dog would be a good idea.

OK, I’m gonna step in here and defend poodles. We had a couple when I was in high school. They didn’t get silly haircuts, they didn’t get their nails painted, and they weren’t neurotic.

The older one was super smart - she could do a whole series of tricks responding only to hand commands. And if I moved my arms around in a big circle, by the time they were in front of my chest, I had an armful of dog - even if she had to bolt all the way across the room and launch into her leap on the fly. The younger one wasn’t as bright, but she was a friendly, fun dog.

We always kept their hair short - easier to groom, easier to bathe, easier to maintain - I clipped them myself most of the time. They can be great pets - don’t discount them just because they have a reputation for being all foo-foo!

Kremit

re dog hater - no I am not, but I once was a neighbour of people who did have a dog that was totally neglected, bored, lonely etc. It’s not fun to put up with constant barking that continues for several hours on end. And it wass equally frustrating when the legitimate concerns of my family and other neighbours were totally ignored by the culprits, despite threats from the local council.

Secondly, I am a paramedic who deals more than occasionally with people who have allergic reactions to all sorts of things, so I have an understanding of the pathphysiology behind allergies and anaphylaxis. That’s why I would not subject someone, no matter how well-intentioned they may be, to a situation where their health and welfare will be compromised.

I’m sorry if I have rubbed you up the wrong way, but I firmly believe that you may be embarking on something that you may end up regretting.

kremit, I noticed you’re in Muncie. If you do end up getting a dachshund, and can’t keep it, let me know. My family has had dachshunds all my life, and now that I have my own place, I’ve been thinking of getting one. I’m in Indianapolis, so if something comes up, feel free to keep me in mind.

A short-haired terrier of some sort (such as a rat terrier) is another good choice, if you don’t mind having a slightly hyper dog.

I have heard that dogs with hair as opposed to fur are better for people with allergies. An old boss of mine has allergies and wanted a dog. He ended up with a Bouvier, which was big and dumb as per your desire.

John

slortar
No a Hyper dog is a good dog in my opinion … lots of action that way and fun. As long as you control the hyperness so it doesnt go into destructive mode on the good ol’ apartment.

Thing 1
I would kill for a bid dumb dog (especially a GREAT DANE), but under the circumstances and lack of space I have to settle for a tiny doggy, but hey a doggy is a doggy and a joy to have. Well for the most part that is :slight_smile:

**Munch ** I just noticed you post and will keep that in mind ;), but I hate to give up my pets. Sometimes though under certain things you just have to … but hopefully that will not be the case here!

From what I’ve read and been told by our vet, it isn’t the hair but the pet dander (dried, dead and flaked-off skin) which causes most allergies in humans to pets.

here’s a link:

http://acmepet.petsmart.com/content/health/allergies.html

I think there is a prescription med for people who have allergies to their pets, but it may make more sense to not get any dog (or cat) regardles of hair/fur length.

my brother has a Bichon. I’m allergic to animals (CATS!); my father is allergic to cats and the feather dust from birds (I seem to be immune to domestic birds). Dogs we expected to be no different.

So they got a Bichon. No one has sneezed yet.

I’d also like to chime in with another suggestion. A greyhound.

“WHAT?!? In an apartment?”

Yup. I have a friend who has two of them. He lives in a nice big house, but they don’t stray far from their sleeping pillows. They have free reign in the house, but they honestly don’t do anything. They’re extremely affectionate, rescuing them from the track is a great philanthropic gesture, and completely mellow. You’d think they run around a lot, but they only do in wide open areas. But that is what dog parks are for. Said friend is extremely involved in his local Greyhound Rescue chapter, and highly recommends them as apartment dogs.
However, I still vote for the weiner dog. And you should name him Spartacus. Because there’s nothing funnier than a little tiny dog with a big strong name. Same goes for the vice-versa.

Munch
Its funny you mentioned a greyhound because that is my roommates favorite kind of dog … let me rephrase that his dream dog. And names OMG I havent even really began thinking about names. The name Spartacus killed me … I died laughing and I am at work and there is a class being taught here at this moment so I guess I kind of did a no no. I will keep that name in mind it does sound perfect for a weiner dog. My roommate would probably suggest Hermes for a possible name for a greyhound. Thanks

I seem to remember seeing a product in the pet store which is supposed to reduce pet allergens - you might look for that. And I second H8_2_W8 that it is the dander and dead skin, not the hair, so hairy or hairless won’t matter.

My parents had a Bichon which was adorable and just as dumb as you like! (Want to make sure the dog isn’t smarter than you, eh? Just kidding!)

Whatever you get, bathe it regularly.

Have you considered a Portuguese Water Dog?

I’m owned by a 19 month old curly white/black parti PWD. I may sound biased, but I have never met a more complex, intelligent, empathetic dog than my Bailey. Easy to train, relatively quiet, eager to please, somewhat mischevious, and they love kids, although they can be a bit aloof around adults they’re not familiar with. Think of PWDs as “manly poodles” – they top off at about 45 to 55 pounds, have an athletic build, don’t smell, and have “poodle hair.” They’re active, but mellow indoors, and adapt well to apartment living. Because they produce little dander, don’t shed (and thus distribute the dander), and love the water, they’re considered hypoallergenic.

PWDs are high maintenance, though. Like poodles, they need regular brushing and grooming. They’re also not too far removed from their working past, and breeders don’t work to suppress the natural working instinct, so you have to keep them intellectually stimulated. You must socialize a PWD early – a dog park will become your home away from home. They love being the center of attention, and aren’t content to spend their lives in front of the fireplace.

Other non-shedding, non-foo-foo dogs to consider would be the Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, Opal Spaniel, Kerry Blue Terrier, and Polish Lowland Sheepdog.