What made you break down and get eyeglasses?

I got glasses when I could not see the chalkboard in 5th grade.

I went from the back of the classroom to the front at about 4th Grade and made it through 5th Grade OK. One morning during the summer between 5th and 6th Grade (I was 11) I woke up and felt like I had a spike going from the center of my forehead to the base of my neck. It was excruciating. My Mom had thought I needed glasses for a while and said “lets go the eye doctor.” I left with glasses. I moved to contacts at 16 and now (age 35) I bounce between glasses and contacts. I haven’t had to have any reading correction yet, but if my Mom (who has had bifocals since 35 and trifocals since 60) is any indication I’ll probably be in bifocals or reading glasses soon.

We got our eyes checked regularly as kids since both our parents wear glasses, so I first got mine at six. It was a parade of hideousness after that, since we had to choose from the IBM-subsidized cheap glasses section. Peach, blue, burgundy…what was I thinking? Pop was nice enough to let me get lenses at fourteen.

One of the things that many people don’t clue into is bad sight equals splitting headache.

I just go around the house like a regular blind person, I guess (sans glasses). I can even shave my legs in the dark (I routinely shower without bothering to turn the lights on).

I got mine when I was 8 - Mom had all of us at the eye doctor yearly, since she & Dad both were nearsighted, it was expected that us kids would be too. And, 4 out of 5 of us were.

My vision qualified for glasses when I was in eighth grade, but I hated the way they looked, so I held off until college.

What did me in was Art History, with the university’s toughest professor outside of the nursing program, Dr. Calabrese. You made sure to get to class ten minutes early so you could write down all the titles and artists on the board, and then you sat through an hour and a half incredibly dense lecture on the principles, context, impact, and history of each of the pieces.

At that point, I surrendered, wore my ugly old glasses, got new glasses, wore those, and made an A in the class. :smiley:

Break down? I got glasses in the 6th grade. I could read books just fine, but had trouble reading the board.

I actually liked wearing them.

I switched to bifocals about ten years ago and did it because the eye doctor said I needed them. No big dea (though I got the no-line bifocals and ultralight lenses to keep things from being too thick.

Headaches.

I was 20/20 (or close) but I had astigmatism, which was giving me quite a bit of trouble and I had no idea this was the problem. I’d get pretty bad headaches after using a computer or reading for some long period. On a lark, I went to an optometrist, and found out about my astigmatism. I ordered a pair of glasses, assuming I’d need them only part time when my eyes were tired. It turned out I really liked having my vision be so much sharper – I had no idea the details I was missing in things, like textures in paintings, that sort of thing – and wore them full time.

It was amazing for the first few days wore my glasses… not because I could see better, I could. It was because I’d never realized how much my eyes ached from straining to focus through my astigmatism, and how much better I felt once this was relieved.

When I was about 8 someone came to our school and did eye tests on all the kids. It turned out I needed glasses due to astigmatism. I hadn’t noticed any problems at the time.

My perscription needs increasing every time I have an eye test. I’m only 23!

Update: Eyes fine, glaucoma negatory. Prescription -125 for distance and night driving. I’m never going to wear contacts again. And for something like this, going in for a “touch-up” of the Lasik seems to be asking for problems.

Me too. I think I was 8. Trees had been green blobs. I remember looking at a leaf and wondering how it came apart from the green blob. Luckily I was nearsighted, so reading hadn’t been a problem.

My first frames were flesh-colored plastic. Ugly! I broke them pretty quickly but the next ones were even uglier. Junior high saw me in the pointy frames. I don’t remember what I wore in high school because I always took my glasses off for class pictures.

I’m moderately nearsighted. Have a bit of astigmatism.

I could always pass the eye test in Jr. High/High School. I squinted. It worked. Passed the eye exam to get my driver’s license. Squinted.

In the 12th grade, in gym, my coach saw me changing for class, squinting at the clock on the wall only 10 feet away. I, of course, didn’t know I was squinting. He told on me. Next thing I know, I go to the eye dr., get glasses, go off to college, and haven’t taken them off since. Best thing I ever did. I could blame my poor grades in high school on my eyes, but that would just be stupid. :slight_smile:

I love all those people who have perfect vision until age 40 or so. Then, you pick up the newspaper, and can’t find a distance from your eyes at which you can read it.

I have tri-focals now, at 64, and haven’t looked back.

Either I couldn’t see the blackboard, or I was complaining to my parents about not being able to see. It was at the end of second grade.

I get the same kind of thing. Whenever I look at things far away for too long I get a horrible headache that’s strongest around my eyes. So I decided to get glasses. But it still happens even if I’m wearing the glasses sometimes, I can’t explain it.

I got my first pair when I was two - you’ll have to ask my parents (I suspect it was because of my obvious strabismus).

Me, too. I was in, I believe, second grade. The problem was detected on a routine screening eye test in school. When I first wore them I went around astonished at all the things there were to see. I remember telling my dad, “This is so amazing! I can see every leaf on that tree!” “You couldn’t see that? Why didn’t you tell us?” “I didn’t know I was supposed to see it.”

I have ever since then been especially appreciative of small and delicate, hidden things. On the other hand, I never did develop much hand/eye coordination, having spent formative years not being able to see very much that was farther away than the book in my hands. When we had softball games in school, I was pretty much swinging the bat at random and never ever hit anything.

I had to get glasses when I was in about the 7th grade. After being called four eyes for about a week I pitched them.

At the age of 35 I got Lasik performed and haven’t looked back since. :wink:

Which was seven years ago.

In a lecture hall, halfway through college.

I was sitting with my friends and chatting and writing notes back and forth and paying almost no attention at all to whatever the hell was going on in the front of the room. It had been drilled into my head in middle school that “if it’s important enough for me to write on the board it’s important enough for you to put down in your notes,” so before he switched boards, or covered up the one he was writing on, or (worse) erased it, I looked up to try and at least copy down everything he had written.

Couldn’t make out a single thing - it was formulas, so I couldn’t use the coping skill of guessing what he had probably written (the way you can with actual words and sentences). And because I hadn’t been writing along with him - I really didn’t have any context.

So eventually, I got glasses. Still don’t wear them very much.

In early second grade, when the teacher sat us in reverse alphabetical order and I was a mile from the blackboard, my parents broke down for me.

Now when I had to break down and get bifocals (progressive lenses, actually), ah - that was a break down! I had to close one eye completely, and hold the other one directly above what I was trying to read. The newspaper was loads of fun. Getting new glasses that time was darn near the most enjoyable experience of my life.

I wore contacts until I was 25. Then I got a job at a chemical company and the company policy (despite good data that say there is no increased risk of wearing contacts in a laboratory or industrial setting) is that contact lenses are forbidden.

I actually kind of prefer the glasses now. My chief benefit is that I don’t get the eye fatigue I did when I used to wear contacts. I don’t really mind the way I look in glasses.