What made you break down and get eyeglasses?

Today I was down at Home Depot trying to read the vertical signs down the aisles. After about 10 feet, I couldn’t make out the letters. Tomorrow may be better though…it seems like a day-to-day thing.

What finally made you eyeglass/contact wearers finally admit that yes, you need them? I’m fine with up close stuff—isn’t that a sign of introversion? I already have a prescription from a doctor, who said I could get them or not.

I knew I needed glasses in late first grade, around when I turned seven, because things on the board started getting a little fuzzy. I’d always known I was doomed, anyway, because my parents both wear strong glasses, and used to joke about how any kid of theirs would definitely need glasses and braces. However, I thought glasses hideously ugly, and didn’t tell anybody except my babysitter, a year later, whom I swore to secrecy. I was caught in early third grade, when my teacher wrote a quiz on the board, and she caught the girl sitting next to me (who went to Resource Room for that subject and didn’t have to take the quiz) whispering something to me. (She was being nice and trying to tell me what the questions were.) At that point, not only could I not read what was on the board, I couldn’t see that there was anything written on it.

Of course, I chose glasses that in retrospect were hideously ugly, and clung to them (and their stylistic clones) through high school. I can’t stand to look at any picture of myself between the ages of 8 and 19.

One night a few years ago, I was reading and discovered my arms had shrunk so much I couldn’t hold the book out far enough to tell what most of the words were. I was 59. It was very sad.

When I was in second grade the school gave everybody eye exams, which is how we found out that the reason I wasn’t doing well in class was that I couldn’t see the blackboard.

My tragic tale.

In my last couple of years at school I found that I couldn’t read what was on the blackboard unless I was sitting in the front row of desks.

When I got to college, the classrooms became lecture halls and the blackboards/overheads got to be much further away than they were in high school. If I wanted to keep up my tradition of sitting in the back row, I needed glasses.

Lucky for me, I also needed braces too at the same time (freshman year of college). Lemme tell ya, I was popular all right :wink:

I decided when I was having a hard time at work.

I had not done a lot of data entry in many years. I was added to a team that does some entry and QA. After about six months of it I was having a hard time reading from paper to screen. The screen seemed fine but as soon as I glanced at the paper my eyes lost focus for a millisecond.

I finally broke down and went to the doctors. She said it was basically the “your eyes are getting old” syndrome, you are nearing 40, blah blah so I got a pair of glasses.

Most of the time I forget to wear them. I can see with out them but I guess they just make it easier to see. Also the data entry part has gone away for the most part as my tasks have changed.

I should probably be wearing them now but I left them at work. Again.

I was about 30 and I could see fine, but after a day at work staring at my computer monitor my eyes burned like hell. The glasses were a HUGE help. Mine are still pretty weak (my optician uncle made me a pair, and his reaction was “you call that a prescription?,” but that little bit makes a big (and increasing) difference.

I had to get my driver’s license renewed and I took the vision test. I looked into their machine and could not read anything!

That would be scary. “You take home a woman you think is Shania Twain, wake up next morning, put on the glasses, turns out it’s Mark Twain.” (I think some comedian made that joke in a standup but I couldn’t tell you who it was.)

Ahem, surely you had some clues before that?

My bro always takes off his glasses to read maps etc. That, I imagine, would be what happens if I were to break down and get some.

I was lining up a piece of optical apparatus and was told that the way to do it was to make sure that the concentric circles were in sharp focus.

What concentric circles?” I asked.

In order to see them, you had to have your eyes focused at infinity. Myopic people – which, it turned out, I was one of – can’t do this. I hadn’t really noticed before then that my migration to the front of the classroom (to be able to see the writing on the board) had paralleled the decline in my vision. I thought I was seeing fine – I could see details at the movies, and everything. For a month after I got my glases I was stil constantly flipping them up to compare how much more detail I could see with them.

I legally don’t have to wear them and honesntly I hardly wear them at all. Though I got them and do wear them when I feel a migraine coming on. I have a hard time making out signs in the distance and when my eyes strain, my head feels like it is going to explode.

Though it hasn’t happened in a while and I think the last time I wore them was maybe 4 or 5 months ago.

My second grade teacher, Mrs. Poe, told my parents to take me to an eye doctor because I couldn’t see the board.

I first got glasses after not being able to read the hymn numbers from the boards at the front of the church. Having to ask the parents what the numbers were was a good indication to them I needed something done. The school blackboard was mostly readable, so it wasn’t obvious in the classroom yet. At the time wire rim glasses had been available instead of the black plastic only available for kids a couples years earlier. Had only the black plastic ones been available, I’d have had to destroy them or lose them.

Oh, I plan on getting them again when I find myself having to increase font size in the computer or having to read printed stuff in weird positions.

The day I walked out of the optician’s with my first glasses on and was able to see the individual leaves on the tree across the street was one of the happiest of my life. I’m glad I was able to get Lasiked, but wearing glasses beats the hell out of not being able to read the blackboard in class.

I was in third grade when I got glasses; toward the end of second grade, I was having trouble seeing the blackboard, and this got worse in third grade. I had some terrible blue wire frame glasses for a few years, then upgraded to something less dorky for middle school until I finally got contacts in eighth grade. After that point, though, I more or less found my “style” in glasses and have switched back and forth from glasses to contacts. These days I can barely read a large print book without glasses, so I don’t bother with the “I’m not wearing glasses!” game. It’s too dangerous for an accident prone person like me.

I was so near sighted I could barely see. When I got glasses I was so thrilled with how you should be able to see you could hardly get them off me.

You know how normal vision is 20/20? I was 20/600. I was about 5 when the doctor told my mother I was legally blind. I had to get glasses but I had such a small face they had only one style that would fit me, and they were uglyugly. And uncomfortable, they hurt my ears, and so heavy they hurt my nose. I tried to go without. All my life I struggled with contacts and glasses. I had Lasik about five years ago and went immediately to 20/20. I still have terrible migraines and now I might need reading glasses: I have my exam today at 1:30. That’s OK: it’s normal to wear glasses to read or drive. But to not be able to go to the bathroom at night? One of the best decisions I ever made.

I was getting splitting headaches at work. I have never had a migraine in my life, but at the time I suspected that maybe I had brain cancer or something. It was hugely painful. I wasn’t getting the headaches on weekends, and indeed, they went away shortly after I left work. Some coworkers suggested I get my eyes checked. I did, and it turns out I needed reading glasses, but only when I used my laptop.

When I switched jobs, I went back to using a desktop, and both the headaches and need for glasses went away.

That was about ten years ago. Over the past few months, I started complaining about how the fonts of everything I read at home were getting smaller and impossible to read. I found my old glasses, and now I use them all the time at home.

I’m lucky in that I can get them for about $20, and without a prescription.