What movie do I NEED to rent this weekend?

Not at all. In the genre of light comedy, it’s right up there with Overboard and Groundhog Day. It changed my opinion of Gwyneth Paltrow, whom I really didn’t like before but now admire. It’s a good story about learning to see past physical beauty to the beauty that lies within. It is well written, well acted, well directed, and well photographed. Incidentally, the city (which is never identified) is Charlotte. The B-Camera shots really show how beautiful the city is.

May. Extremely dark, funny, and disturbing. Ebert gave it 4 stars.

I second the recomendation of Billy Eliot. I loved that movie.

Identity is a very interesting psychological thriller, one of the best movies I have seen in a long while.

Sexy Beast

with Ray Winstone and Ben Kingsley.
Kingsley is sent to spain by his Gangster Boss to bring back retired east end gangster (winstone) for one last job.

Kingsley’s performance of is amazing, especially as this is the guy who played Ghandi!

I am sorry to say that I hate-hate-hated Sexy Beast.
I would recommend Jackie Brown if you haven’t seen it yet. It is sadly over-looked in the Tarantino oeuvre.
For a more recent movie, I second the nominations of NARC, Snatch, etc.

Blue Velvet, Box of Moonlight. Big Lebowski (my “A” movies starting with a “B”)

It’s a good story about learning to see past physical beauty to the beauty that lies within.

Funny. The message I got from Shallow Hal was a man would have to be hypnotized before he could fall in love with a fat woman.

EYE OF GOD with Martha Plimpton and Nick Stahl. Unsung but brilliantly constructed and powerful drama.

No no no no, the message of Shallow Hal is that a shallow man would have to be hypnotized before he could fall in love with a fat woman.

And lest you doubt my claim that Shallow Hal is the greatest movie of this millennium, take a look at my Shallow Hal Gushing Fan Webpage.

You need to see The Other Side of Heaven. Best thing I’ve rented in months http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250371/ Want something a little older? Try Eve’s Bayou http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119080/combined

Braindead (aka Dead Alive).

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I ended up with Boondock Saints, which I will watch tonight, and Gangs of New York. I watched that last night, and I really liked it. Daniel Day Lewis is a very fine actor, IMHO.

I will definitely be marking this list so I can get caught up on all the good titles listed. Feel free to add more whenever they come to mind.

Varsity Blues, any American Pie Movie…My favorites

I watched Boondock Saints. Didn’t find it all that funny, but it was definitely disturbing. I do like movies that follow that sort of storyline though, so I will give it a “C”. Thanks again for the recommendations.

I say no to the Boondock Saints. It so failed as a movie. It was neither funny nor suspenseful. The aftertaste from it led me to believe that a lot of the meaningful shots ended up on the cutting room floor.

I second Miller’s Crossing. I had it preordered for DVD on Amazon. It is my favorite Cohen Brothers film, ever.

Other suggestions:

1. The Way Of The Gun.
  2. Lock, Stock, And Two Smoking Barrels, followed directly with Snatch.
  3. Fight Club.
  4. The Hunt For Red October.
  5. The Usual Suspects.
  6. Spirited Away.
  7. Silverado.
  8. Seven.
  1. Fear and Loathing
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Big Labowski
  4. Bowling for Columbine
  5. Spun
  6. Seven
  7. Fight Club
  8. Snatch

I recently rented The Life of David Gale. I thought it was wonderful. A little mystery involving the controversial subject of capital punishment. Definitely underrated.

Okay, you’ve just lost credibility with me. :wink:

1. Glengarry Glenross
  2. The Manchurian Candidate (They’re currently making a remake with Denzel Washington and Liev Schrieber-- though I like both of these guys, remaking classic Frankenheimer strikes me as a fool’s enterprise.)
  3. Catch-22 (Incredibly underrated Mike Nichols movie. At least as good as The Graduate.)
  4. The Wicker Man
  5. Nixon (If you dug JFK, it’s got much the same vibe and much of the same menace.)

When I worked at a video store, I recommended Far From Heaven for new-release dramas.

Other movies I rented while working that I absolutely loved that no one has mentioned:

1. Magnolia (semi-depressing drama)
  2. The Commitments (fun soul-punk comedy-drama)
  3. State and Main (one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen. A David Mamet film.)

I agree with Moody Bastard (fun name): SnoopyFan, you lost a lot of points with that one comment. :wink: Then again, my favorite movie is Rushmore, so I’m obviously biased.

Two more suggestions: Bottle Rocket and Office Space; both comedies.

Don’t watch Catch-22 if you’ve already read Catch-22… you’ll be sorely disappointed :frowning:

Two great ones! Bottle Rocket remains my sentimental favorite of the Wes Anderson canon.