What movie do I NEED to rent this weekend?

Death to Smoochy. That was the last film I saw in the theatre. Training Day. That is the most recent film I have rented. I plan on a all out Movie Day this weekend, and need some help narrowing down the good and bad. I am mostly looking for Dramas, maybe a really good comedy. I don’t follow the movie pics and pans too closely, so I am hoping that you Dopers can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Of course, we don’t know what you’ve seen already, but –

Dramas:

Miller’s Crossing
Apocalypse Now
Henry V
Mean Streets

Comedy:

The Ladykillers

One I have rented recently:

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

Only got to see the first half, but I really liked it.

Also, if you haven’t seen it, Solaris (the new one, not the 90 hour Tarkovsky one)

The Tarkovsky is one of the great masterpieces of film; the remake is not bad.

Recommended viewing: The National Film Registry. These people want to help you rent a good movie this weekend.

Shallow Hal.

You absolutely, positively NEED to rent Shallow Hal this weekend. It is the greatest movie of this millennium.

In fact, you NEED to rent the DVD release of Shallow Hal, not just the VHS release, because the DVD contains 11 deleted scenes. Which you’ll be just dying to watch after you see the movie in its normal theatrical form, because it is, after all, the greatest movie of this millennium.

Shallow Hal was indeed very good.

If you like uplifting light drama with just the right amount of comic relief in a timeless story about overcoming odds and adversity, with a nearly perfect screenplay, flawless photography, great acting, and skillful directing —

you need to rent Billy Elliot.

(Warning: unless you speak fluent Northeastern British, you might want to turn on the subtitles the first time through. You’ll want to see the movie multiple times anyway.)

Halloween, Return of the Living Dead, or Spider Baby.

It is October, after all…

and you need to carve a pumpkin…

Two words…

Boondock Saints

It’s absolutely hillarious!

You guys are kidding about Shallow Hal, right…?

I second “Boondock Saints”. Also, “Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels”, and “The Seventh Seal”… you won’t believe how many pop culture references were stolen from that film.

OOOOO, I love the Boondock Saints. I have to buy it.

I saw FRIDA last night and loved it also.

Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels is great too.

Narc is a really good recent cop drama that I rented that I would recommend.

Other recommendations of recent rentals of mine:

The Quiet American
CQ
Gangster No. 1
The Salton Sea

Adaptation was great! At least Amazingfiancee and I thought so. Amazingmom didn’t like it very much, but she just wasn’t in the right mood.

Snatch. It’s top notch from start to finish!

I recently watched Anger Management and enjoyed it thoroughly. Much more than I had anticipated.

I wholeheartedly endorse this suggestion. :wink:

I agree, lissner. (on Tarkovsky’s Solaris) I think it’s probably not a movie that would be enjoyed as much by someone looking for a nice weekend rental.

It takes some stamina.

The newer one takes some thought at times (at least, I thought so) and was beautifully shot. Worth a try.

Movies you should watch if you haven’t already:

Bossa Nova (foreign, mostly comedy)
Babette’s Feast (also foreign, mild comedy/touching)
Bend It Like Beckam (foreign, coming-of-age/funny)
The Recruit (drama)
Bringin’ Down the House (comedy)
A Mighty Wind (more sweet than funny)
Best In Show (you will pee from laughing)
Identity (whodunit drama)
Bowling for Columbine (depending on your politics, you will either throw things at the TV or cheer at it)

WARNING

I beg you in the name of all that is good: DO NOT RENT About Schmidt!!! It is the biggest POS movie made since The Royal Tennenbaums! Just say no!!! I would rather watch the immature, insulting waste of time and money that is Shallow Hal before I watch About Schmidt again! I cannot BELIEVE this movie got good reviews!!! Rarrrrrrrr it sucks!!!

You, and anyone else who has not seen The Iron Giant, should watch it immediately.

Moejuck - if your video store has it, rent Monty Python’s Life of Brian…or Monty Python and the Holy Grail…or Monty Python’s Meaning of Life. Heck, rent all three.