What movie should I rent tonight?

Better late than never, I always say.

There are 2 small market, artsy movies that I highly recommend.

1. ‘The Spanish Prisoner’ with Campbell Scott and Steve Martin. Great story about a con game.
  2. ‘The Zero Effect’ with Bill Pullman and Ben Stiller. A wonderful private eye tale.

Give 'em a try.

**Play it again Sam" is the only one I like to see over and over.

How about Rosemary’s Baby?

If that doesn’t keep your pregnant wife awake, nothing will! :smiley:

We both liked Ronin (rented it because of the ‘great car chases’ thread), Midnight Run, Man with Two Brains (‘Get that cat outaa here’) and Clerks.

We saw Spanish Prisoner when it was in the theaters. Great flick. I’ll check out Zero Effect it looked depressing though.

I’ll also check out Better off Dead, Office Space, Payback (we really liked the new one) and Play it again Sam.

I think I’ll hold off on renting Rosemary’s Baby.

=)

Debbie Does Dallas
Behind the Green Door
lol :smiley:

Cheap, the ZERO EFFECT was an excellent flick, not depressing at all, but quite humorous and quirky. I have seen it several times and enjoy it each time I watch.

Recently rented BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (words cannot describe how odd it was) THREE KINGS and THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR. All very enjoyable.

Bringing in the Dead (or something close to that). Nicholas Cage plays a burnt-out EMS guy. And a second for Being John Malkovich.

“The Matrix” - sure got MY attention!!!

Two of my favorite choices for “most neglected movie”, and two very engaging flicks, are:

The Last of Sheila – my all-time favorite mystery. It’s sort of the illegitimate half-brother of Anthony Schaffer’s “Sleuth” (also recommended). The screenplay is by Stephen Sondheim (yes, the songwriter) and Anthony Perkins (yes, “Norman” from “Psycho”). It stars James Coburn, James Mason, Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon, and Raquel Welch, among others. It has mysteries within mysteries, and it gives you ALL the clues. And I guarantee that you won’t figure out the ending. Well worth it.

Creator – Peter 'Toole, Virginian Madsen, Vincent Spano, and David Ogden Stiers in a science fiction film with absolutely no special effects. O’Toole plays a Nbel laureate who is trying to clone his wife, who died of a brain disease. Unique in that there is not a trace of horror in it. The writing is witty, and the university in it FEELS real. You get the sense of faculty infighting and grad-student insecurity that otherwise never shows up in films.

The Serpent and the Rainbow is a very cool movie. Suspense, action, zombies. What more could you ask for. Oh yeah, Cecil even wrote about it.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/990521.html

“The Usual Suspects” with Keven Spacey. You’ll never guess the ending.