What movies HAVEN'T they remade yet (and shouldn't)?

Harvey

I know that Harry Anderson starred in a remake, probably made for TV, but since no one likely saw it I don’t think it counts. I heard rumors of a remake starring John Travolta and if that really happens I am going to call upon Xenu to toss him into a volcano.

No one can do that movie better than the originals. Trying to modernize it or add a CGI 7 foot tall rabbit would only ruin the whole feel of it.

Well, if your argument of “a ripoff of the basic plot’s not the same as a remake”, then nobody has remade the 2 Kurosawas…

The remake would star Fritz the Cat

I’m waiting for *Green Acres * the movie starring Paris Hilton.

I heard Drew Barrymore bought the rights a few years ago. I’d also love to see SLeB as DD.

I wish GWTW could be redone, as a lot of stuff was omitted. However, it’s such a long book I don’t see how film makers could get everything in that they originally left out, like two of Scarlett’s three children, the Fontaines and Calverts, Will Benteen, Archie, and more info about the KKK (I think that should be handled carefully, at Mitchell treated the KKK rather favorably.) Maybe as a TV mini-series?

I refuse to discuss Scarlett. Once I learned they cast a brown-eyed actress to play Scarlett I refused to grant it any credibility. If they couldn’t get that right, what else did they screw up?

Singing in the Rain will never be remade because Musicals are the death of Hollywood right now.

So, YAY!

I would like to see an attempt at Lion in the Winter.

Think they’d be foolish enough to remake The Godfather?

Here ya go!

That was a “prequel” TV series.

I’d like to see a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, but I’ve no doubt that Follywood would screw it up, so it’s better that they don’t touch it.

Fritz Lang’s Metropolis is another film that shouldn’t be touched because Follywood’ll botch it.

Otto, do you know the history of Scarlett? The entire publishing industry was calling the “novel” a dog before it ever saw printing. The publisher sent the manuscript to a couple of book doctors to try and save it, but obviously it didn’t help. Apparently, the only reason why it ever saw the light of day was because they were contractually obligated to print the damn thing. I think there were supposed to be a couple of sequels to Scarlett, but I don’t know if they ever were produced or not.

But Chicago did very well, and it’s a recent movie. :confused:

There are dozens of bad movies that I’d like to see remade. Into better movies.

Hollywood always wants to remake the good movies, with mixed results.

Why not remake the dozens of bad movies. Movies with good ideas that got botched?

Forbidden Planet’s not The Tempest by a long shot, even if they stole the setup from Shakespeare , and even have a correspondence of the characters.

There was a musical based on the film, but from what I’ve heard, I’m glad it wasn’t filmed.

On the other hand, The Magnificent Seven etc. have a lot more to do with Seven Samurai, even allowing for changes of locale and melding of characters.

There was a lot of talk about Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez remaking Casablanca before they broke up. I wonder if Sean “P. Diddy” Combs would have played Victor Lazlo!

As others have mentioned there have been remakes of Casablanca. Want to know how bad the TV series was? They cast David “Hutch” Soul as Rick.

I’m betting we’ll never see a remake of Birth of a Nation. That would be a tough one to update to modern sensibilities.

Chicago was a fluke in the Hollywood Machine, IMHO.

All of the Marx Brothers movies are good examples of movies that shouldn’t be remade. They were actually pretty bad movies that were solely redeemed by the great performances of the Marxes themselves. A Marx Brothers movie without the Marx Brothers would be awful (or, at best, a Ritz Brothers movie).

Unfortunately, while this remake shouldn’t have been made, we can’t say it hasn’t been made. Some people weren’t content to leave this an untested theory and made Brain Donors.

Plan 9 From Outer Space: The Musical

Oh please. Pauly Shore is Groucho.

I am somewhat surprised they haven’t remade Clash of the Titans. That would actually probably be decent.