What, no e.r. thread yet? (spoilers, natch)

So, everyone catch last night’s episode? I thought it was pretty well done. Although I may send an email to the writers saying “OK - CARTER IS TAKING OVER FOR GREENE. GREENE HAS PASSED HIM THE BALL (literally). WE GET IT.” The symbolism hasn’t exactly been subtle.

Regardless, the last few episodes have been quite good. Seeing everyone’s reactions to Mark’s letter on the bulletin board was especially touching.

It was a good episode, and next week we get to see him for the last time. Hopefully, Carter will drop those boring storylines with his family and pick up some good ones as he takes Greene’s old job.

And was it just me, or did anyone else think of Mr. Roberts as soon as the letter reading started? I half expected Carter to go throw Romano’s palm out a window.

It was a well-played scene, however, even given the feeling of déjà vu. The reactions to the letter on the bulletin board were well done. All in all, a little heavy-handed, but both my wife and I liked it.

Ugly

No, I didn’t watch. Haven’t watched in quite some time. Everytime I watch these days, I wanna slit my wrists after the hour is done.
The writers did a bang-up job of making me care for these characters and now all they do is torture them. Can somebody point out anything good that happened to any of the major characters this season? I mean, besides leave.

1. Weaver fell in love
  2. Jerry is back
  3. Hi Opal
  4. Um… Well… Nevermind.

Damn simulposts. I guess this makes my thread pointless. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=113181)

In keeping with the theme of heavy-handed symbolic “passing the torch” from Greene to Carter: wasn’t the speech and scene at the end where Carter talks to Mr. New Doc the exact same one from the first year when Carter got sick and Greene comforted him? I don’t mean the same situation, I mean the exact same - same lines, same positions. Seemed weird. I mean,we get the idea already! as Slacker pointed out. Are we to infer that New Doc is the new Carter and he will be the big shot when the show drags on for 7 or 8 more years?

I didn’t see the episode becauase the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Pistons were in playoff action.

Did Greene die? My wife said he did. What was the letter? What is Mr. Roberts? Do I look fat in these jeans?

I didn’t see the episode so I can’t answer your first two questions (I decided the show finally jumped the shark after last week’s). However, you really must see Mister Roberts. It has a great cast - William Powell, Jimmy Cagney, Jack Lemmon, Henry Fonda. The dramatic and comic elements of the story are executed perfectly. I’ll bet you can’t get through the firecracker scene without falling on the floor laughing.

Dr. Green wrote a letter to the ER basically just to thank everybody and to say goodybe. Dr. Corday faxed the letter to the ER from Hawaii, and she added an addendum to the letter stating that he had passed away earlier that morning. Not all of the ER staff was there when Carter read the letter aloud, so it was posted on the bulletin board for all to see.

Yes, as far as my recollection goes, Carter used the exact same words that Greene used to him in the very first episode of the show.

While it was kind of piling on the symbolism, I liked it when Carter was putting Greene’s locker contents in a box. He threw his own stethescope in the box, and put Greene’s around his own neck.

Of course, they could just have left it with Greene’s last words to Carter, “You set the tone.” Along with, “Your basketball needs air.”

And in the very first episode, Morgenstern told Mark, “You set the tone” when Carol was brought in as a sucide attempt and he (Mark) was wondering what to tell everyone.

And they even re-did the scene, with Carter walking out, the ‘reflection-in- the-puddle’ shot. It was originally Mark walking out to Carter, who had been grossed out by a burn trauma and now it was Carter walking out to Gallant, who had been grossed out by the gunshot trauma.