What Olympic events could men and women compete together in?

Per wiki for the 50m rifle article:
“The competition is won by the shooter who reachest the highest aggregate score (qualification + final, maximum 1309.0 for men, 709.0 for women).”

So there is some difference in scoring between the two. Interestingly, the women win with the WR being 98.4% of maximum whereas the men’s is only 98.3%. So I think shooting is still in the running.

Curling? (No that kind)

Olympic Curling. I really don’t see any inherent advantage a Y-chromosome has.

But the women have fewer shots so longer to rest between shots and the rifle is lighter.

Longest penis?

How hard you throw the rock does impact how it curls, as well as how well you can knock out guards and such. I’m not sure if that has any practical impact–I don’t know if throw speeds are within typical ranges for both sexes, but it might be possible. (see also previous discussions on competitive pool playing between men and women)

I would think fencing would be pretty evenly matched.

For 10m air rifle:
" The maximum achievable aggregate score (qualification + final score) is 709 for men and 509 for women." Men= 99.27% of maximum Women = 99.33%

For 10m Pistol:
Men = 60+10 shots
Women = 40+10 shots
I believe it is a maximum 10 points for a perfect shot so 700 for men and 500 for women (It may be 10.9 but it isn’t easy to find online), but in pistol, men finally beat the women.

Very interesting- I wouldn’t have guessed it.

I’d think that a guy could sweep faster and harder, plus he might be able to move the stones faster in curling. Doubt it’s much of an edge, if any.

The tiebreaking procedure for three-position in the 1976 Games was to go back and see who had the highest total for the last ten shots. Bassham did, so he got the gold. Weird, I thought they’d go to "X"s to tie-break. This SI article from 1976 goes into a lot of detail about the event. Makes me sad, how much the writing has slipped over the last 35 years.

My vote is for Yachting.

According to this Sports Illustrated article,

Basically, Bassham won because his victory was a dramatic come-from-behind. Certainly exciting, but a bizarre rule … Imagine putting that into other sports. “So, at the end of regulation, the score is tied at 101! But, since the Los Angeles Lakers scored 30 points in the fourth quarter, and the Boston Celtics only 28, the Lakers take game 7, and they’re the new NBA champions!”

On the plus side, it beats the hell out of the current NHL regular-season tiebreak rules.

From this link, at elite competitions like this, the first shots are scored to a max of 10. It’s the last 10 shots in the shootoff that go to 10.9. So max would be as you stated: 709 for the guys; 509 for the ladies. Really slick how they determine scoring—it’s done acoustically.

112.5 seconds per shot for women versus 105 seconds for men so you are correct for pistol and the other ones are similar are similar in magnitude, but in all cases women do have a longer shooting window.

Agreed with sailing, but only for small keelboat. This time around the Elliott 6m was chosen and it is a female only match race format. All of the other events are fleet sailing. There is too much hiking out and weight placement involved in small boat sailing for men and women to compete on equal terms.

There will be a mixed multihull competition on Nacra 17’s at the 2016 games in Rio.

Men have significantly faster reflexes. The physical differences aren’t just speed and strength.

Pairs figure skating.

Potential Olympic ballroom dancing and dragon boating.

Yes

http://biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm#Gender

In case you still want it.

Only one of the top rated 100 chess players in the world is a woman (and none of the top 100 bridge players).

There is the fact that more men than women shoot which increases the pool of potential champions.

There is the fact that men practice hand/eye coordination and spatial skills more than women.

There is a possibility of biological statistical superiority.
You can take all of that away though; the interest level among one gender, the practice, the possible biological superiority. It remains that in fields where you get to the top by focusing with extreme intensity, you tend to get men.

For example, you would expect Scrabble to be dominated by women, right? Maybe at the casual level it is. Women have much more interest than men in language, practice language-related skills more and may have statistical biological superiority over men. So you’d expect most Scrabble champions to be women.

Please read the names on this list:

The upper end of the respective ability bell curves see men being faster, stronger, better reflexes etc. etc.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised in some cases to see the bottom ends of those curves being populated by men as well, it may even be that in some cases women have a higher average ability.

Point being, medals are only awarded to those at the top end and that is why it is highly unlikely that women and men can ever compete equally at an elite level. Certainly not where there is an objective “best”. Subjective artistic judging may see some women do well.

Equestrian may be the closest but even then, looking at past medallists, but as I said above, it is only in dressage (subjective judging) where women seem to win regularly, Eventing and showjumping seem to favour men.

Finninsh wife carrying (a vid from competition yesterday in Canada) has yet to become an Olympic sport.