What optional things do you always get?

Inurance + warranty on my smartphones. I usually hate protection plans, but I’ve had to replace every phone I’ve had at least once through the warranty, and had a few insurance claims over the years.

Air conditioning in cars, although that’s standard now I guess. I also always get leather trim (especially the steering wheel) because I’ve become accustomed to not burning myself every summer, which is what used to happen pre-leather.

I always check by bag when flying.

Don’t have to worry about my pocket knife, scissors, fluids over two ounces, etc. And don’t have to drag a bag through the airport between flights.

I always spend extra to choose my airline seat. Usually it lets me get a spot in the emergency row on the aisle. I have the row to myself on most of my flights.

Hot sauce is not an option on my food. It’s mandatory.

I always go for the combo meal at work whether I want the drink or not, because sadly, it’s cheaper :smack:

Gym memberships? I know I can exercise on my own but I never seem to actually do it unless I’m paying for it.

Name brand clothing. It’s not for social status but for quality. If I buy Nike basketball shoes, brooks brothers dress shirts, or a Burberry coat, I know it won’t tear, be awkwardly fitted, or have weird surprises since I do a lot of my shopping online.

$1 charities. Be it rubber band charities, make-a-wish checkout charities, if it only costs a buck, I always donate cash in hand.

I’m the complete opposite. I hate sitting in planes and make it a point to wait by the gate until the line is almost completely gone before getting in line, regardless of what my section is. I know it’s a dick move, and if everyone did it my way it’d be anarchy but it’s just awful sitting there for an extra 15-20 mins unnecessarily. Unless of course it’s 1st class. 1st class is amazing.

We’re perfect complements! Never in each other’s way. :slight_smile:

I fly first class. It’s an extravagance, but I can usually use mileage for it. I spent 40 years traveling in sardine class and swore that I’d never do it again.

Heated seats in my car.

Quality tools, furniture and appliances. I want the stuff to do the job and to last forever.

No insurance for rentals; my credit card takes care of that.

No cheap-assed hotels/motels unless there’s no other choice. There are enough reasonably-priced 4-star places out there to not have to sleep with bedbugs.

For the OP: high octane gas is a complete waste of money if you don’t have a high-performance engine. If you have engine knock, you might want to try a slightly higher octane fuel, but otherwise you gain zero benefit from it in a normal engine.

The same is not necessarily true with premium brands, like Chevron vs No-name. In some cases, the gas sold by No-name is just Chevron over-run, true, but not always. Many big-name chains put extra detergents in their gas, etc.

My Mechanic sez that running “no name” gas is fine, but one should run a tank of brand-name stuff thru once in a while to get the detergents.

I always get the manufacturer’s rubber trunk mat when buying a new car. Fits right, keeps spills under control.

I usually buy Husky mats for my vehicles. They’re made to fit your car exactly and have edges high enough to contain a lot of mud, water and debris.

I assume that’s a typo, and you’re missing a zero on those two numbers. Because I have never seen a direct flight vs layover/stopover that was only 20 bucks more.

It could be, if you don’t mind red-eyes.

Nope, not at all. And these are complete cross country flights. Don’t know where you’re looking for airfare. (Or you’re not booking well enough ahead. Those are price gougers in so many ways.)

Just did a check on Kayak for a possible trip we might take this summer. $29 more for non-stop.

When I was younger I always bought new cars as the Base model.
Now that I’m older and have the funds the last 3 cars I’ve bought have been the Limited models. I know the extras they put on these are often overpriced but since I keep vehicles for 8 years+ it’s worth it to have things like daytime running headlights, leather seats, heated seats, aluminum rims, etc.

How often do you have trouble with lost luggage?

I have never had a issue with Southwest or any straight thru flight. Using American or United , with a connecting flight- nearly 50% is delayed by up to a day. :eek:

And once the dude delivering the luggage damaged the bag.

a local restaurant serves its house salad rather plain, but you can ask for several free upgrades ( carrots, cheese, cucumbers) and few priced upgrades (bacon, ham, croutons) I always ask for everything. It’s better that way.

I also pay for the upgrade to white meat at fried chicken places

We have annual passes at the waterpark which is my children’s very favourite place on the island. Since we don’t pay any more to get in, we always spring for a cabana. That gives us a little hut to dump our stuff, a small safe, free towel rental and some bottled water. Not much, but enough so we can easily spend the whole day at the place without a concern.

My needs are simple, but there are a few things I can afford, and do, especially when it comes to the hassles of travel:

-A decent hotel. Doesn’t have to be the Ritz Carlton, but no fleabags if I can possibly avoid it.

• No flights at weird hours, if there are middle-of-the-day options. Also, if there is an upgrade to Biz or First for 50 bucks or less, I’ll probably take it.

• No middle seats. If you airline bastards want to nickle-and-dime me for that privilege, I’ll roll over and take it.

• Upsize the meal to Medium. Small’s not quite enough. Large is way too much.

• Hot sauce, please.

Oh, and for the annual Wings over Houston air show, I always pay the extra for a Prime View seat.