What Oscars do you think were totally deserved?

There’s been more than one thread, IIRC, about all the times Oscar got it wrong, as the saying goes. But what about the times they got it right? First examples that come to mind for me are Geoffrey Rush for Shine and Jodie Foster for The Accused.

I’m not asking if the right person/film was chosen out of all the candidates. I’m just asking for awarded performances or films that were outstanding, regardless of who/what the competition was.

For instance, when I say I think Annie Hall deserved Best Picture, that doesn’t mean I think Star Wars didn’t, just that I think AH is an Oscar-worthy film in and of itself. Similarly, it must have been a tough call when Rocky, All the President’s Men, Network and Taxi Driver were all nominated in the same year. I’d be better than okay with ATPM having won, but that doesn’t take anything away from Rocky.

So this is not about which Oscars went to the right person/film for that year; it’s only about which Oscars went to a person or production that was worthy of one.

Good question, nicely put.

I think Bullock did a damned fine job in Blind Side and was totally worthy of the prize - especially when you see pictures and interviews of the real woman she was portraying. (Although if Meryl had won, I wouldn’t have complained.)

Same goes for Jeff Bridges - I don’t really like C&W music, or films about such, but he was more than the stereotypical loser/singer on the road. He knocked it out of the park with that role and you bought his character 100%.

Christoph Waltz was amazing in his role - and maybe it will be his only “big” role in his lifetime, but boy did he nail that one.

Marisa Tomei in “My Cousin Vinnie”. I know its controversial, but she played the role, brilliantly.

Definitely.

Best Picture- Shakespeare in Love
Amadeus

I second Amadeus.

If Heath Ledger hadn’t died when he did, I doubt he would have won for playing the Joker. Nominated, maybe, but I can’t see the Academy giving an Oscar to an actor playing a “mere” comic book character. Nevertheless, he did completely deserve it, for defying all expectations and creating one of the most memorable movie villains ever. Even more impressive when you consider how many previous versions the character had been through before he got to it.

Anthony Hopkins, for Silence of the Lambs. I remember seeing it in the theater, and I recall thinking how awful that it was almost a year before the Oscar nominations came out, which meant this amazing performance would probably be forgotten by then. Turns out I was wrong.

And The Usual Suspects for Best Original Screenplay. That movie so amazed me with its writing that, after first seeing it in the theater, I dragged friends of mine to see it again the very next night, even pledging to pay for their tickets if they’d just see it.

Everyone likes to dump on Shakespeare in Love getting the Oscar that year (I think it was up against Saving Private Ryan, plus some also like to hate on Paltrow) but I agree–the Oscar went to the right movie.

Christoph Waltz was simply brilliant as Col. Landa. He crackled with energy in every scene.

There have been several threads in this forum about underrated actors, and every one that I saw, I offered up Jeff Bridges. I haven’t seen Crazy Hearts (I live in a very small town) but I am sure he was dead solid perfect.

I also agree on Shakespeare in Love. A brilliant film on all levels.

Other Best Pictures include Casablanca, All About Eve, On the Waterfront, Gigi, The Godfather, Annie Hall, Chicago, and Crash.

I could list many actors who deserved their awards, and Waltz is clearly one of the biggest locks in this category. Others that come to mind are Brando in On the Waterfront, Yul Brynner in The King and I, Robert Begnini in Life is Beautiful, Adrian Brody in The Pianist, Julie Andres in Mary Poppins, Liza Minnelli in Cabaret, Louise Fletcher in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Frances McDormand in Fargo, Edmund Gwenn for Miracle on 34th Street, Walter Matthau in The Fortune Cookie, Martin Landau in Ed Wood, Heath Ledger, Josephine Hull in Harvey, Ruth Gordon in Rosemary’s Baby, Cloris Leachman in The Last Picture Show, Marissa Tomei, Anna Paquin, and Catherine Zeta-Jones.