What Other Musicals Should Get the Network Live Treatment?

Just another year? Right now this is this season’s Monster That Ate Broadway and only just announced a West Coast company. Gonna take a good while to see it at home.

Did you see the Live From Lincoln Center production a couple of years ago? Very good filming of the stage play. (Glenn Close did a very meh TV movie remake of it a few years before that.)

No way you could do PotO justice on live TV.

I vote for The Lion King.

The Sound of Music was an excellent movie too. As much as I love Carrie Underwood, Julie Andrews’ shoes are too enormous to fill.

Hamilton news:

I agree that it will be some time until we’ll the whole thing on TV…

I missed that. Have to look for it.

Incidentally, this show is unusual for me in that I like a subsequent studio recording much better than the original Broadway cast. I have the CBS London studio recording with Mandy Patinkin, Sarah Vaughan, Jose Carreras, and Kiri Te Kanawa in the lead roles. I love it, and even prefer it (heresy!) to Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza. And frankly Mandy Patinkin’s take on Lt. Cable makes the forgettable Bill Tabbert even more forgettable.

Is that the one with Reba McEntire and Brian Stokes Mitchell? If so, I enjoyed it too, although I’d call it more of a concert presentation than a filmed stage play. They wore costumes, but they had scripts in their hands and didn’t really act things out.

Or is there another production that I’ve missed?

Guys and Dolls would be great with the right cast. And timely, with Havana opening back up!

I watched Hair last night, that would make a great live production… although they’d have to get rid of a few songs or it would have more bleeping than music.

They seem to be working at the “affordable for a high school production” level of production and rights, as well as family friendly content, which precludes new shows like Hamilton and really big shows like Les Mis and really pushing the PG13 rating shows like Avenue Q.

I’d like to see South Pacific (which would also finish out the shows I did in high school, the others being Grease and The Wiz.)

I’d love to see Song and Dance, as it’s rarely performed these days. But it probably doesn’t have the name recognition.

Guys and Dolls would be awesome, except for all the date-rapey outrage the next day on Facebook.

Newsies would be fun.

“You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” would be nice.

I love the music from “Carousel”, but the domestic violence stuff is problematic.

Why not Godspell?

A 15 hour live Der Ring des Nibelungen, round-robinned through the various networks, one right after the other, each doing their hour(or half-hour) in their own style, until the grand finale.

Right? There’s so much “problematic” stuff in older musicals. Watching The King and I recently, I realized how much I want my 10 year old daughter to see it, and at the same time, I realized how much I don’t want my 10 year old daughter to see it.

No, but I enjoyed that one as well. This one was an actual full on stage version that starred Kelli O’Hara as Nellie.
Trailer.

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that. I will have to see if it’s available on Netflix or Hulu or someplace.

I did South Pacific in community theater a couple years ago, playing the coveted role of third Seabee from the left. :slight_smile: But at least I got to sing one solo line in “There Is Nothing Like a Dame.” We had the stage covered with sand, to get that Pacific island look. You ever try to dance on sand?

South Pacific would probably be a pretty good show to get the “Live” treatment. Well-known, lots of good songs, expansive but not too technically challenging.

I saw a wonderful live version on “Great Performances” about fifteen years ago. They bookended with a surprisingly good Dreamcoat with Donny Osmond and Joan Collins (as Potiphar’s Wife).

Oh, I played your female counterpart, third nurse from the left and party guest at Emile’s. I had a speaking line in French, and I got a whole verse in “Wash That Man”. My director wanted an Ethel Merman belt, which is about the exact opposite of my Snow White on helium natural voice. It hurt.

Exactly my reasons for thinking South Pacific would be good. Plus, with a few well placed acting choices, it actually does have some meat on its bones, with the whole racism is taught theme. Sadly still topical these days.

Beautiful, the Carole King musical. Might be too new for a while, though.

Damn Yankees.
The Pajama Game.