What paradigms need to change?

On the topic of laundry, a common place for it hereabouts is inside a small room under the carport, accessible only from the outside. You have to go out the kitchen door, cross part of the carport, and then enter the laundry room. Who dreamed this up?

I think all kitchens and bathrooms should have central floor drains. This would make mopping a breeze- sweep, mop, squeegee dirty water down the drain, rinse, replace decorative air-tight drain cover that’s flush with the floor.

I have a Yaris with that feature. One reason for it is that the manufacturer doesn’t have to move as many items to the left or right in different world markets.

I figured that’s why the instruments were in the center. It made sense.

There’s a really simple way to avoid the broken-hose problem: Just turn off the faucet that the hose is attached to. It ain’t rocket science.

True, that means using the washing machine takes one small additional effort–like washing your hands at the bathroom sink–you twist the faucet handle before you start, and turn it off again when you’re finished.

(yeah, this is a pain ,if the faucet is hidden behind the washing machine.So the obvious solution is to build the faucet where it’s easy to reach.But this concept seems to totally beyond the comprehension of all the architects in America.)

There are still people who hang laundry outside to dry, to save energy. I used to, before I moved to an HOA hellhole. Wet laundry is heavy, so a ground-floor laundry room would be ideal.

Why do we cling to floor-mounted toilets? They’re so hard to clean around and behind.

I’m waiting for the cable television packaging thing to fall apart.

I hang my laundry out to dry when it’s not freekin’ cold!! And yes, it would be more of a walk from the master bath to my clotheslines than from the basement out the back door, but I’ll be going either down the basement stairs or down the deck stairs (or out the garage door and down a slope in the yard.) Still, if the laundry was by our bedroom instead of under it, my life would be easier.

Not that it matters at this stage of my life. I don’t intend to leave this place till I’m carted off to The Home, and I don’t intend to do any more remodeling here. Worst case - if I can no longer manage the stairs to the basement, I’ll have to buy one of those chairs to ride up and down, and the dirty clothes will ride down on my lap.

Laundry rooms off the second floor hallway were all-but universal in generic 2-story-plus-basement tract houses built in the 80s & 90s in suburban St. Louis. These would typically be laid out with living room, dining room, & kitchen (and maybe a den / office / TV room) on the ground floor and all bedrooms upstairs.

My house wasn’t that layout, so I had laundry in the mudroom separating the kitchen from the garage. The master BR was on the same level, but across the house. Laundry in the mudroom was the other all-but universal pattern.

I often run laundry late in the evening, moving the last load into the dryer, pushing “Start”, then crawling into bed. Or if I get up early, I’ll wash a load or two in the couple hours before my wife gets up. She does the same for me. We would NOT want to have the laundry machines next to the bedroom(s). Too much noise.

I find the sound of a dryer soothing. In our new house, the laundry is on the 2nd floor between the master bath and closet. Works great for us.

I think we can up to the “five second rule” to at LEAST 15 seconds…

And why don’t we have urinals at home??

They’re pretty common in high end places. Small tract houses don’t have the room for a urinal and a commode.

More and more things are coming in “ziploc” bags now, which is awesome.

Except cereal and crackers. Wtf? :frowning:

Garage door openers have become pretty sensitive to interruptions and will stop closing at the slightest problem. This is a good thing overall, but when I find myself wondering if I watched it close “all the way” (and circling the block to make sure). I’d like a short-range sensor in the car that notes the fact that it closed completely. Just for peace of mind when I’m a block away and wondering.

(Yes, I realize I could change my habits and negate the need for this, but that applies to lots of conveniences)