What part of the year do you call Daylight Saving Time?

In other words, it’s the first option?

I’ve always thought it should be the other way round. That way the sun set would be way more consistent, instead of the sun setting at 5 in winter and 8 in summer (or whatever the times are in your part of the world).

Maybe this is my problem. I’ve occasionally heard people refer to daylight savings coming up when it’s already daylight savings time. I interpreted them as thinking the behind part of the year was daylight savings, but they may have been referring to the act of changing the time.

And to hell with it, I’m saying savings. Sue me.

Too many kids get hit by cars walking to school in the dark.

Yes. I see now that I misinterpreted the poll choices. I wasn’t trying to be pedantic. I actually thought that the options were both referring to the moment (time of year) that you change the clocks (put the clock forward/backward).

That’s certainly how the OP is written:

I.e., 2 AM March 13, 2016.

I can never remember which part of the year is the actual standard time, but at the next available opportunity I plan to wheedle askance and sideways!

Yeah, sorry, I could’ve worded it a lot better. It never occurred to me that anyone would think I meant the literal moment you put the clocks forwards/back. I guess that’s the problem when trying to determine if what you wrote makes sense. I already knew what I was trying to say, so didn’t see the ambiguity.

Does anybody really know what time it is?

This.
Just gonna explain those abbreviations:
EDT - Eastern Daylight Time
EST - Eastern Standard Time
MST - Mountain Standard Time (because Arizona doesn’t do Daylight Savings)

So to be clear: I call it that because that is what it is officially called. The summer is when we are on Daylight Savings time, the winter is when we are not.
And yes, I’m in the US.

That second one is perfectly correct. The first one is only wrong half the time. :wink:

I might well say “daylight savings happens this weekend”, but I’d be far more likely to just say “Spring forward”.

It’s twenty-five or -six to four.

The way it was explained to me was this:
In the winter, it’s dark when you leave for work and it’s dark by the time you get home, so nobody cares when exactly the sun is up.
In the summer, folks are used to being able to play baseball with their kids after work, before it gets dark.
In WWII, they wanted folks to work long days in factories to help the war effort. In order to allow them to still do things after work and before it gets dark, they adjusted the clocks so the clock says 1pm when the sun says it is noon, so everybody gets an extra hour of sunlight after work.
Could have achieved the same effect by asking employers to have folks work 8-to-4 instead of 9-to-5 (or whatever), but they went with changing the clocks.

I understand that this conflicts with more authoritative accounts of why Daylight Savings Time happened, but it is what I was told