What Person to Person (p2p) Payment Systems Do You Use?

Another vote for PayPal and Venmo. I still use cash and occasionally checks, but these two online payment systems work well, especially if its a relatively small amount of money that has to travel a great distance. I don’t trust the USPS as much as I used to.

Primarily PayPal because virtually everyone supports them.

Much less frequently: Western Union. I have occasional contact with a couple of small manufacturing companies in China and they prefer to have money sent to their respective bank account via Western Union in the name of one of their employees, I assume the Chief Financial Officer.

Yep. Same here, although I think Venmo seems to be edging out PayPal for the lead in terms of most used. My hair stylist, my yard guy, and several other people we pay do Venmo.

Another PayPal/ Venmo combo here. PayPal mostly for people I don’t know (eBay and other small online purchases from hobby vendors) and Venmo for lots of local folks (dog walker, house cleaner, landscape guys, trainer, etc).

Far from it in the UK. They go to some trouble to ensure that even spouses can’t access each other’s accounts without permission.

My wife and I keep everything jointly but her CCs are different to mine and all correspondence about them (like replacement cards) is directed to the individual. Our daughter keeps her own bank account separate from her husband’s but they also transfer money into a joint account to pay household bills.

Never used these. I love the concept, maybe some day I’ll figure it out. What information would I need to move money to someone via Zelle or Venmo? Is there a fee?

I write checks, use cash, and on occasion go to my bank and do a wire transfer.

I have joint accounts with some of the kids so I can easily transfer money to them in our joint account. They all have other accounts, so they take it out of the joint account and put it somewhere else. That system works great.

I prefer Zelle over Venmo simply because I shouldn’t have to pay Venmo a fee to get the money now as opposed to in a few days.

I use Paypal/Venmo/Facebook Messenger. Sadly, I have no idea what it takes to receive money as no one has ever sent me any.

In Canada, Interac is king. It’s an association of all the banks and credit unions and handles the bulk of inter-bank ATM withdrawals, debit payments in store, and peer-to-peer transfers. Can send cash from my account to anyone else that has a Canadian bank account and either an email or a cell phone.

I don’t think @Cervaise is talking about spouses having access to each other’s account. I think they are talking about what I often encountered with joint accounts - they put my husband’s name first, used his social security number on tax forms and so on. And that was without the bank even knowing we were married - because it happened on accounts that we opened before we were married. The only ones that have my name first and my SS number are the ones that I opened by myself and added him to later.

You need their email address or cell number. Venmo charges a fee if you want eh money transferred to your bank account immediately but if you are willing to wait three days there is no fee.

Yep, that’s what I use and what was referred to earlier by @Dancer_Flight . It’s standard in Canada.

And, you don’t need to give your bank information to the other person to use it, and they don’t need to give you theirs. Just the e-mail address.

Having had much more trouble and expense cleaning up after bank-related fraud than credit card-related fraud, I use PayPal with a credit card to send money out, but will not set it up with my bank information. For incoming funds from a person or small business, cash, check, or cashier’s check. For larger companies with established reputations, human rather than automated troubleshooting, and the capacity to right anything that goes wrong, maybe a particular bank account.

I was making the point that the opposite applies. Her money is hers and mine is mine, if that is how we want to handle it.

Realizing, of course, that both parties must have accounts with Venmo.

Ohh, there’s the rub. But I assume it’s not difficult to sign up. I resolve to get on board with some of this technology within the next 12 months.

Venmo is only available as an app, not a browser-based solution. To sign up, you’ll need an email address and phone number, and a US-based bank account.

bleah, I meant to discard the message. mea culpa

//i\\

To be precise they both require a cell phone number, or at least one that can receive texts. It used to be possible to sign up for Paypal without a phone number, but they decided to stop allowing that.

//i\\

I use mostly Zelle, occasionally PayPal. I find Zelle extremely easy to use, and the money is transferred almost instantly for no fee.