What Programs Have You Stopped Watching?

The Walking Dead. Dropped it partway through season three.

NCIS. Lost interest after Ziva left.

NCIS LA. Stopped watching around the same time as NCIS.

Sleepy Hollow. Stopped watching about midway through season two.

Why the fuck not?
Take it easy there. There’s no harm in starting a thread like this.

:dubious:

I did the same thing with both Quantico and How To Get Away With Murder.

I’ve finally come to the conclusion that I don’t like being married to a particular show because that means I cannot miss an episode. That was fine back in college when everybody in my dorm gathered in the commons room to watch Dynasty, but not now. Why that is or why I’ve changed, I have no idea.

I forgot about Transparent. While I like Jeffrey Tambor, this show just seems to be about people hating on one another.

Survivor - Stopped watching it several years ago after they aired a “behind the scenes” clip show after the finale that completely changed how I saw certain characters. Then I realized how reality shows are all but scripted and are heavily edited, they have dozens of hours of footage and distill it down to 1 hour a week. And of course the whole thing where Survivor is less about surviving than politics and playing stupid games.

Big Bang Theory - Not funny any more, these “nerds” get laid more than me, Sheldon got tiresome, and Penny cut her hair.

NCIS - Same reason as others, it just never changed.

Grimm - It was very interesting the first season or two but the character motivations and plot just got too unbelievable, lost interest about the time Nick lost his powers.

Sleepy Hollow - Couldn’t even make it through the first season. Too much unbelievable stuff happening without anyone noticing, and time-traveler guy was way too smart and adjusted way too easily to modern life. They could have made a whole show about just that. Also didn’t like any of the characters.

And honorable mentions for two shows I almost stopped watching; Gotham and Agents of SHIELD. I wavered on both of them but this season has been pretty whiz-bang for both of them. There were many episodes of both that seemed like season finales.

The Big Bang Theory. Last season wasn’t all that funny so this season I haven’t bothered.

I never though TBBT was particularly funny. We used to watch reruns then stopped because it was getting more stupid than funny.

The early seasons are still funny to me. The irony is that the addition of Amy and Bernadette turned the show into Friends and sort of killed it, but I loved Friends. For that matter, I like Amy and Bernadette.

Well, after watching the final season 3 episode of Hemlock Grove, I can definitely say I am done with that show.

Err… the show is over now after the 3rd season - that was the finale. I don’t think it counts if you watched the entire run of the show.

And while the show was overall just alright, Famke Janssen was so very sexy and delicious in it I quite enjoyed watching just to see more of her. :slight_smile:

It’s very borderline for us due to the latter crap.

Flynn’s character basically only works when he’s paired with Provenza. Take him out of that context, especially to a sickly boyfriend, and the character falls apart completely.

There was an inside jab at the haters of the kid earlier in the current run. He mentioned that there were about a million people on the Internet who hated him. Way too low an estimate there whine-boy.

I may be giving up on Hearbreakers, the Grey’s Anatomy clone, and it hasn’t even aired yet! Postponements and staff changes means it might never make it to air.

The Last Man on Earth - The instant it played the “red-hot chick shows up immediately after poor dumb schmuck shackles himself into a committed relationship” card, I gave up. Maybe it’s had a few good moments since then, but it’s just about freaking impossible to make post-apocalypse work as a comedy, and I’m not willing to sift through all the dreck for a few morsels of laughter.

Hell’s Kitchen - I enjoyed it for what it was, a super-contrived, super-corny clown show with a dash of serious competition thrown in. The meltdowns could get way funny (some of the VIP guests agreed; I remember Tito Ortiz and Lee DeWyze, among others), and I’m actually a bit disappointed that physical contact wasn’t allowed. If you want real reality show comedy, nothing beats two ham-handed klutzes flailing and flopping all over the place. Over time, though, the contests got way too heavy-handed (Why is it almost always tied going into the final?), and Ramsey’s endless reversals and made-you-looks became dreary as hell. Realized I’d seen everything about a year ago and pulled the plug.

Dancing With The Stars - Ugh. Please do not ever get me started on what a bloated, contrived, pretentious, wretchedly excessive, gaudy, garish, noisy, screechy, fascistic, empty, formulaic, grossly unfair mess of a nightmare of a debacle of a catastrophe this has turned into. But do feel free to look up my comments from the many seasons where I actually loved watching this. I know…I can barely believe my eyes either.

Most recently, Scandal. My interest was waning this season to begin with, and the mid-season finale was just offensive. All done, bye-bye, Scandal.

Lawdy. It sounds like I grazed a nerve, there.

And why yes, I do like “drama.” As in a work of narrative fiction, typically not including “comedy,” and sometimes excluding other thematic genres such as “romance,” “mystery,” “adventure,” or even works within broadly overarching settings such as “fantasy” or “western.”

I’m not, however, an overly big fan of the bickering, overwrought, Borgian, office-politics, high-school soap opera melodrama pap that seems to be more popular and cheaper to film, these days. To coin a new overarching genre label. :wink: It’s like “Friends” on crank, but without a laugh track.

I guess when it comes to opera, I just prefer Siegfried to La Boheme. :slight_smile:

Dude—the example I gave of a series I did like and devoutly follow was one about a group of people obviously in various stages of cracking up coming under attack from, and being messily devoured by, nightmarishly ghastly quasi-human abominations against whom there is little defense, and less hope of escape. That ain’t exactly My Little Pony.

I watched HK religiously the first few seasons because I not only love reality competition AND cooking shows, but I also have a great fondness for the non-HK version of Ramsay. His HK persona also reminds me of a lot of my managers early on in my career, so there was always part of me watching and thinking, “Oh yeah? Manager X used to say the same thing to me and I threw it back into his face, yadda yadda.” Which I did. Which is also the reason why I got to where I am today :slight_smile:

But yeah, after awhile shows like HK and Top Chef have to shake themselves up in some way, whether the challenges become more ludicrous/silly or whatever. Like you said, it’s the same thing only wrapped slightly different. So yeah, I stopped watching HK too.

I was never a big DWTS fan to begin with, but I’ve always managed to catch an episode here and there. The fact that they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get a Grade Z celebrity to participate says something, you know?

The Simpsons: I out grew the show at the age of 10 (2000). Tried watching some of the new episodes several years ago and was promptly bored.

Family Guy: Got too stupid.

Bones: It got too formulaic. Someone is found dead in a bizarre way/location, Bones does/says something socially awkward, follow dead ends, catch/kill bad guy, song plays, the end.

Grimm: Got bored with it. Can’t pinpoint why.

Supernatural: Stopped watching for awhile and when I tried watching it again there was too much going on/too many characters.

American Horror Show: Loved Murder House, Asylum and Freakshow. Skipped Coven and hate Hotel. Maybe next years (if they do it) will be better.

My dad introduced me to Doctor Who when I was 5 or 6 years old; I grew up wanting a Tom Baker scarf, and I loved the reboot episodes (stylistically very different, but still great). Lately, though, I feel the writing’s been going downhill. I just barely managed to hang on through the Matt Smith years (ugh), and although Capaldi’s a supremely capable Doctor, the last few shows I watched have been such an awful combination of plot-hole riddled and sappy that even his skills couldn’t save them. I still haven’t touched the couple of more-than-a-month old episodes in my DVR. I guess I realized I was watching out of sentimentality more than anything else - and with the multitude of fantastic shows on right now, there’s really no need for that.

Doctor Who is the kind of show that wanes and waxes, though, so I fully expect a great reboot by 2050. :smiley:

It got bad. Very bad. And I was a fan for the first several seasons.

It was supposed to be fun. Castle’s good nature and humor against Beckett’s by-the-book toughness. It played well. I was ok with them becoming a couple. They just got too far into ‘DRAMA!’ story arcs. Lost interest.

ER - good for the first 4-5 seasons but they got rid of everyone interesting.

LOST - Good first couple of seasons, and I did come back to watch the finale, but in between it was just dumb.

Recently - The Walking Dead. Havent even started the new season.

Back in the day, almost every great show from Andy Griffith to the Beverly Hillbillies went bad once it went to color.

There are a bunch for me, including a lot of TV shows that have run their course. I like to think that I’ve only temporarily stopped watching them, and that I’ll revisit them at a later time. That said, there are two shows that I have (happily?) stopped watching.

First, Homeland was a huge letdown for me beginning with season 3. I stopped watching sometime when Brody found himself in Nicaragua and felt like the story was extending beyond what I originally watched for and had plot points that seemed resolvable only with extremely conjured scenarios. The first two seasons were amongst the best, most satisfying TV I have ever seen, which is why I’m willing to revisit. I love shows about intelligence and the Middle East, and Homeland hit the spot for a while.

Second for me was Suits, because the story’s general progression repeated every episode or for longer story arcs and got boring. I’m talking about how the protagonists always seem to be one-upped by other lawyers, but are able to come back by being the smartest guys in the room. The show is written to be like that, but I feel out of love with it after a while. Although, like Homeland, I can see myself getting back into it.