What provides carbon dioxide naturally?

I’m aware that our breathing provides it and if anyone wants to explain how I wouldn’t mind reading it.

I’m learning about plants and they say they need carbon dioxide to live. What in nature provides that without animals?

Any kind of combustion produces CO2. So, without animals, volcanos and forest fires would provide it, also, plants produce both O2 and CO2 during their respiratory cycle.

Plenty of things, fire probably being the biggest, I expect. Slow oxidation also provides CO[sub]2[/sub]. And I believe it’s released by volcanic action, and geysers, and the like.

I believe that limestone creates it.

Plants also produce carbon dioxide as they metabolise part of the sugar they created by photosynthesis. Also, decay of dead plant matter produces CO[sub]2[/sub]. Forest fires or similar naturally return large amounts of the stuff to the atmosphere, as well as burning fuel. A fair amount is released as a product of cement manufacture which often entails roasting carbonates down to oxides (e.g. CaCO[sub]3[/sub] --> CaO + CO[sub]2[/sub]).

Carbon Dioxide is just carbon and oxygen both of which are abundant in the universe and the early solar nebula. So on planetary formation you’ll wind up with a soup of organic molecules, ices, metals and oxidized materials all swirling around.

Now group them all together in a ball about 12600 km across and you wind up with planet Earth. Out gassing and cometary bombardment would basically seed the place with an abundance of the material. After that a lot of it gets locked away in limestone (CaC0[sub]3[/sub]), some of it gets taken up in planets and locked away in oil, coal and natural gas fields and the rest settles into various equilibriums depending on what kind of life and environment is around.

http://www.geosc.psu.edu/~jfk4/PersonalPage/Pdf/Phl_Trans_B%20(Kasting&Howard)_06.pdf (warning - pdf)

Okay thanks all for quick responses.

I’m trying to set up an indoor grow room. I’m led to believe that any light that escapes takes away from the plants so I’m trying to build something that won’t leak any light. After that has been figured out the heat build up was too much to I had to get an exhaust going, I learned then that the exhaust would would suck all the co2 and fresh air so I setup an intake fan.

Anyway, I learned that plants love co2 and I’m just trying to figure out ways to provide plenty plus extra. Learning that they release it themselves, is it enough for a mostly sealed area?

:dubious:

see this too:

(missed edit window)

Might not want to go with a volcano then…

Don’t worry about light escaping: It’s true that any light that escapes won’t get used by the plants, but that’ll be a minuscule amount of the total, anyway. And besides, what you’re using to seal it off probably absorbs light rather than reflecting it, and absorbed light is lost, too.

My mom was involved in an experimental greenhouse design that ran into the same issue you’re having: The temperature management worked fine, even through a Cleveland winter, with no power input, but the CO2 levels were undetectably low. Ironically, the project was largely sponsored by a local brewery, and if it had been on site, they could have had all the CO2 they wanted: The air in the brewery was something like 1 or 2% CO2.

Go get a big plastic coke bottle, a stopper and a small length of clear rubber tubing. Fill the bottle with a sugar solution and sprinkle in some bakers yeast. Now feed the tube into your planet container (I’m assuming it’s mainly contained and not open air) and ta da! - a simple CO[sub]2[/sub] source.

“planet container” Ha!

Well, dude, maybe, like, every atom of those plants is, like, a whole solar system, right?

You’re a plant whisperer?!

I’ve got the Far Side comic where God’s baking and as he pulls out the Earth says to himself “this thing’s only half baked” in my head now.

Organic compounds naturally decompose or are broken down by bacteria in a process called mineralization, which produces CO2.

For medical reasons, right? Okay then.

If it’s a small grow room and it’s fairly tightly sealed, you could always elevate the CO2 in the space with dry ice. Honestly though, you start fooling around with seriously elevated levels of CO2 you have to be careful.

The sugar/yeast method mentioned is great way to get a little CO2, but not enough to make much a difference in terrestrial plant growth, especially when those plants are under strong lighting.

Really your best and safest way of ensuring your plants get plenty of CO2 is just get it from the outside, like the rest of the planet does. Good air circulation is critical to tomato plants.

Over all, green plants are net consumers of CO2, although at times they do give it off. Fungi also produce CO2.

Organic decay and fermentation is more animal respiration, just very little ones.

Don’t use sugar water, use grape juice. Produces a better product.

I guess animals consume CO2 to produce the CaCO3 in their bones, shells, and whatnot. Some of it of it ends up as limestone. A small amount of limestone is exposed to acid and gives up its CO2 .

It is true that the formation of earth like planets results in a high concentration of CO2. Animal life can’t develop until the plants convert enough of it to oxygen. The plants produce both the carbohydrates we need for respiration and the oxygen. Thanks.