What pureed fruit (baby food) would be best to help a dog take meds? [RIP puppy]

I have a very sick Pomeranian. I need to give her medicines crushed and mixed with pureed fruit with a syringe every six hours. She needs to be on a very low protein diet. Right now I am wondering if there is any particular fruit anyone has had experience with getting medications and calories into a drugged dog who has no appetite.

This is a senior girl, she is 13 and has been with me every day of her life. I am feeling traumatized at the thought of losing her, and if this is the beginning of the end, I want her to be as comfortable as possible, and if I have to force feed her I would like it to be palatable for her.

If anyone is interested in the particulars I will share, I am just frazzled right now.

Thank you.

Hugs to you.

Dogs often like pureed pumpkin or squash, and you don’t necessarily have to use baby food squash. It’s also very good for their bowel function.

Thank you nearwildheaven I am familliar with the magic of pumpkin, and I have that. I was just curious if anyone had experience with something like banana or applesauce. My mind is just racing is all. I just gave her 20ml sub cu fluids (every 6 hours) and at 11:00 I get to try to get her meds down her via syringe. I hope that, if we both make it through the night, that it will become easier to get her meds down her.

I think it’s probably going to vary a bit from one dog to another - my little dog is not at all impressed with bananas, but will eat apple or carrot (not a fruit, but can be pureed).

I’d go for carrot, probably.

One of our malamutes liked apple anything, even the cores. He was a nut to begin with, though, and the only one who’s ever liked apples.

In my experience banana seems to be an acquired taste. I’ve had 50-50 luck with it.

Maybe pear? I think its taste is quite neutral.

I concur with the poster who suggested carrot – I’ve never known a dog who didn’t like carrots to begin with.

I’d avoid anything strong-tasting. My huskies are quite fussy, though.

I’m so sorry about your Pom. One of my huskies needs a biopsy to determine exactly what’s going on with his tummy.

Thank you everyone. As I was giving her the sub cu fluid at 3:00am she slipped away.

I’m so sorry. :frowning:

I edited the title for you, if you don’t mind.

So sorry, {{{kai}}}. :frowning:

My condolences. I know how much it hurts.

Bless the beasts and the children.

I’m so sorry. :frowning:

So sorry to hear** kaiwik**. She’s with good company now and I’m sure she’s telling all our late best friends how great you were and also missing you as much as you miss her.

I’m so, so sorry :frowning:

Oh, no, I’m so sorry. Sometimes there’s absolutely nothing you can do to fix things. Those little bodies just shut down. :frowning:

Poor little doggie. She was so lucky to have such a loving caretaker as you.

I am very sorry, I am sending you hugs. Someone mentioned pumpkin and I add some to every meal our little guy has, he really likes it. As far as bananas, I guess it depends on his mood that day.

Kaiwik, you were a loving and devoted pet parent, and your little doggie appreciated it. Cherish the fond memories.

<3

My condolences. It’s so hard to lose a pet. :frowning:

This is very sad to hear, I’m sorry. I hope you are doing ok.

I’ve been there, very recently, and I know how painful it is to lose a pet. I’m so very sorry.

I’m so sorry. Little dogs can leave such a big impression on our hearts.