What religion has the least appealing afterlife?

They’re Methodists, not Episcopalians.

Now, even considering that atheism isn’t a religion, that’s still questionable.

Is the extinction of consciousness better or worse than going to hell? Further, is it better or worse… or even noticably different from the ‘eternal bliss’ of some variants of Christian Heaven?

Yeah, but in this case the guy suggesting that we think about forgetting about infact Limbo is Pope Benedict, and that opinion carries some weight.

Pssst, see my previous post.

Of course, most of those unconcerned Jews aren’t exactly conversant with Talmudic tradition.

I don’t get it (the snark I mean). :confused:

I’m surprised that terrifies you. I thought you had nothing to fear but … oh, never mind. :wink:

The thread title’s apparently been fixed, but it originally said “afternife”.

Could I ask for a Cite, please?
I’m curious as to where you heard that one as I would like to learn more on that school of thought.

I believe he’s talking about reincarnation.

Which religion proposes this afterlife?

Are we restricting ourselves here to the afterlife where good folks are supposed to go, or is Hell or the equivalent allowed, too? Because sitting around for the rest of forever eating dust is kind of boring, but it probably still beats being continually roasted in a lake of molten brimstone, or whatever.

I don’t know about anyone else but spending eternity with a bunch of born again christians in heaven sounds the worst of all. I can barely take 2 seconds as it is.

Fair enough, just usually never heard it put like that. As there IS an end to reincarnations- it’s not just a big wheel.

Then again, I wouldn’t put it past some Hindu texts to totally say that part. As there are those that say you don’t really reincarnate as animals- it’s just tends to stay in the species (evolution being ok with it), and others that say you can reincarnate as animals and whatever else there is.

Always fun to hear more about it though.

I believe that would be Atheism. Whether that counts as a religeon or not is up for grabs, but if it does qualify, I’d say it’s probably the worst of the options.

A man went to heaven and was being shown around by St. Peter. As they went from cloud to cloud they came to various doors which St. Peter would open. One showed a large group rolling on the floor and talking in tongues. “Our Pentecostals” he said.

Next was a solemn ritual. “Our Jewish population” he replied.

Then another solemn service with incense and candles. “Our Catholics”.

At the next cloud, he didn’t open the door but instead put his forefinger to his lips as they both tiptoed past. Once past, the man asked “Who were they and why did we have to sneak past?”

“Those are the Baptists”, he explained. “They think they’re the only ones here”.

I’ve never heard of this Talmudic tradition you refer to. Do you have a reference?

Mostly what I’ve heard of the Jewish afterlife is a sort of boring netherworld.

1. Atheism is no more a religion than baldness is a hair color-it’s not “up for grabs.”
  2. Atheism proposes no such afterlife.

Are you talking about Sheol, because that’s only a small part of the story?

Not truly a religion, but…

small spoilers ahead:

There’s an X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully work with a bona fide psychic. At one point Mulder asks him about dreams.

Psychic says he only ever gets one dream, and he dreams it every night. He tells it in a poetic, strange sort of way. Basically his dream is of himself, dead, naked, in a field of flowers. He begins to rot away slowly, first the worms, then the bacteria, slowly eating away at his flesh, and soon he’s all bones…then finally at the moment that he just doesn’t care that he’s naked he dissolves into dust.

I think that’s horrible. That is the worst of theism and atheism together - that we have some sort of conscience that lasts beyond death and there is nothing there but laying in a wooden box and waiting for ourselves to rot.

Mulder didn’t get much sleep after that and it creeped me out,t oo.

Some say that Heaven is Hell
Some say that Hell is Heaven

I know that there is also supposed to be a resurrection of the dead in the Messianic Age, according to some.

Also, there is (again according to some) a form of judgment and the good are to be either resurrected or sent to “the world to come”, and the bad to be either not resurrected or sent to Sheol or Gehenna. Sheol may also refer to simply being buried, or to a nebulous netherworld - depends on who you ask.

But there is absolutely no agreement on these matters, which are in any event somewhat contradictory (is it resurrection, or sent to heaven?), and the majority view appears to be that the afterlife is simply a sort of netherworld much like here, from what I can see. It hardly makes it worthwhile to die!

The notion that the afterlife is one long orgasm is a new one to me, I must admit. :smiley: