Continuing the discussion from Hawaii Seeks to Overturn Citizens United:
I’ve spun this topic off (per my own moderation!) to allow for a greater discussion of the general rights of corporations in the USA, and of course, the rest of the world. I particularly wanted to examine @RitterSport’s response:
Because the legislation establishing corporate “Persons” seems increasingly long in “rights” and very good at avoiding “responsibilities”. Something you all know is often a hobbyhorse for me. I had read an online article a while back related to this:
Though that involves a much wider discussion of the fraught issues with declaring personhood given America’s historical treatment of women, enslaved peoples, and so forth. Still, and pointing to the above, corporations have grown vastly in size, diversity, and self governance, and been long abused to avoid responsibility for their own actions.
So, if the challenge to Citizen’s United (in the parent thread), or a general reduction in corporate personhood per @RitterSport were to be enacted, what ideally narrow sets of rights and broad responsibilities be considered ideal?
Note this is a Great Debates structure, not a Politics & Elections - I understand and acknowledge that any practical, immediate change would be disastrous politically and economically. But given the advantages and abuses corporate status has allowed, especially in the years since Citizen’s United, what should we work towards as an ideal going forward?
And lest we forget our roots:
So I won’t be accused of not representing my opinion in my own thread, I think that the biggest issue is right there in my title (hobbyhorse warning!): Responsibilities. By the name alone, LLC’s and corporations in general enjoy the rights of personhood, but dodge almost all the responsibilities. They may face fines for illegal or unethical actions taken (though often far less than the profits they make by such actions!), but it’s extremely rare that the corporation itself or those directing it have lasting punishments or consequences. Especially when it comes to spinning off liabilities as their own “independent” company to take the fall (and fail to pay) while the parent company is absolved of the risks and damages.
This would be the first few points I would want to see new legislation aim toward as we work towards a better ideal. Your preferences may vary!