What’s the most extraordinary thing you’ve posted about yourself?

The one I’d doubt if I weren’t, myself, the poster is about how I married the high school football coach a week after I graduated.

I didn’t post that here, though. Well, I guess now I have.

Given the level of skepticism around here I am surprised no one called me out on my descriptions of the two deaths I have seen up close and personal, car fire and shooting. They did happen exactly as I described, but not a single “come on man, you can’t be serious”. And so it begins…

CAPT

Ah, wow - thanks!

Oo! Discovering dead person, that reminds me. This one is pretty unbelievable:

The Dead Body I Didn’t Find OR Why Tapu Would Not Make a Very Good Detective

This pretty much covers it.

For a sec there I thought we were in the “what scares you” thread.

I was on a sailing trip that lost a young woman overboard. Her father was a famous hockey player, so it was a bit of a news story at the time. I mentioned the trip before the accident, though, which should bolster my credibility somewhat.

And a few more personal things. Never figured anybody was interested enough to use them against me.

please disregard this post

I’ve posted here (and elsewhere) a few extraordinary things about my childhood. That I was abused by my father, that my mom was so controlling she wouldn’t allow me or my sister to get driver’s licenses. I’ve never been publicly called a liar. I’m not always sure what goes on at the snark boards, of course. But I think (and hope) I come off as realistic.

The key, I think, is to not be a one-trick pony, and don’t blow your wad so early. I wouldn’t share that kind of personal information as my first post on the first day I joined a new message board–that is really why people like umkay and that frost guy come off as ingenuine. I also don’t troll for sympathy. I don’t bring my past up out of the blue, because that looks like a desperate bid for attention. I only bring up my own issues when I think they lend me credibility in a related, topical discussion. Anything else? Well, if it quacks like a victim card, and walks like a victim card…

On SDMB, I suppose it would be the fact that my wife died. That’s probably not so extraordinary in and of itself - I’m not the only widower in the world - but I don’t think I would have posted here about it if it had happened, say, yesterday.

Several years before she died, though, and before we married and I moved to the US, she was involved with AA. She got 13th stepped by a guy who was hosting meetings (or whatever you call it) while drinking a bottle of gin a day. There’s much more to the story, of course, faults on all sides and so on, but I did post on an AA forum to ask for advice, as she was living so far away.

Boy, did I live to regret that. I was told I must be making it all up, such things could never happen, I was obviously drunk, and so on.

I have posted what could be seen as contradictory things about my military career. Someone sent me a PM about it once. Easily explained by the fact that I’ve been doing it a long time (first full time then part time) and I have changed jobs several times. Since its usually not needed I don’t go through the whole story each time. So I might mention being a tanker, a combat engineer or being in army aviation. All have been true at some point but not currently.

I havent here, but I have on another forum. When I was a paramedic, I was held hostage at gun point for 4ish hours.

I’ve been really sloppy about my personal life here - it wouldn’t be much effort at all for a motivated person to identify me. Hopefully that motivated person won’t ever be the wrong one.

I suppose the most out-there stuff I’ve posted has been about my sociopath half-brother and his kids and his dead wife. Well, and then I was on Jeopardy. I guess I could have lied about that, but I’d have picked a skinnier, prettier player’s identity to steal. :slight_smile:

I posted that my birth mother was 12 when she became pregnant with me, 13 when she gave birth to me. It was in a MMP thread which, in retrospect, was probably not the place to share something like that!

That I used to fire roman replica siege weaponry on a semi-annual basis, sometimes with fireballs. I’m really not sure how to prove that part beyond any doubt, but I could make reasonable case. There are pictures and advertising posters and such. Though I suppose I could still be suspected of identity theft.

My childhood. The fact that I was abused is hardly earth-shattering, but the crazy instability of my childhood has resulted in me having a lot of interesting experiences, such as having 4 different ‘‘fathers’’ and legally emancipating at 17. The first time I posted about it, it actually ended with some folks believing I was a troll. I guess because I told a lot of details about my life, and at the time they seemed to contradict one another. I dunno. I guess if I was not me, I’d appear pretty farfetched, too. It seems like another lifetime ago… sometimes I have to remind myself that yes, all that crazy shit happened to me. And one thing I didn’t have back then was perspective, understanding that suffering is universal and there are way worse lives to live, so I tend to be a lot less melodramatic about it now.

I’ve tried to stay away from some of the wilder stories, on the basis that people are likely to not believe me, and I wouldn’t blame them. Particularly since my personal internet-safety rules would prevent me from verifying a lot of it.

I have told some crazy, totally true stories here, but there are also a bunch that I haven’t told.

A couple of crazy plane crashes too, right? (Or is that someone else?)

I think I’ve posted way too much personal info about myself (it’s all lies from here on out, folks), but I don’t think any of it has been all that unbelievable.

Oh yeah, I’d bust your ass. :wink:

tapu if your real name is Denise, PM me…

Oh yeah, loving Nzinga but not just for this.

But I am loving your use of umkerfuffle!!!