What should be done with the disputed votes in Palm Beach?

Fantastic. Then in true Athenian style democracy only free males can vote. Oh, and you only have the rights the majority of those free males decide you should have. What a fantastic system. Of course I could be mistaken but I don’t think Canada has a true Athenian style democracy either.

Believe me when I say we haven’t hit rock bottom. We could have had Joseph Jacques Jean Chretien if his ancestors had moved a bit farther south.

People were confused by a ballot that really wasn’t all that confusing. At the very least they should have asked a few questions if they were having problems. They punched holes for two candidates Pat Buchanan and Al Gore or they just punched holes for Pat Buchanan. If there are two punches then the vote is invalid and it is tossed.

Some voted for both on mistake. Some just voted for Pat by mistake apparantly.

It isn’t clearly spurious. Since we can’t track down every single voter (secret ballot) we can’t ask them who they meant to vote for. It is possible, if not likely, that Pat has a lot of supporters in that area who voted for him.

You blow your wad you blow your wad.

Can’t do that. I think they call that tampering with votes. Since we don’t know who meant to vote what we can just give them all to Gore.

I don’t think we’re allowed to do that. I don’t think the Constitution forbids a revote but there may be past Supreme Court rulings that prohibite this.

Probably can’t do that for the same reasons as above.

Marc

MGibson wrote:

True. Unfortunately.

Perhaps I should not say Athenian style, with its free-male only citizenship. Of course women would be citizens as well (And there would be no slaves either, sorry). What I want to see is the essential idea behind Athenian-style democracy: that the citizens themselves run their own government,not elected representatives. The fact is that under the Athenian constitution, almost all of the offices of their government were filled by lot, in the same fashion as juries are supposed to be filled today. The ‘executive’ function was filled be a council of 500 randomly chosen citizens, and other boards were filled in a similar manner. The Athenians regarded elections as profoundly antidemocratic, since it greatly multiplied the influence of Big Money.

The argument could be made that 500 random citizens would be too uninformed to properly run the state. If so, why are 12 random citizens allowed to decide criminal cases? Why are 100 million citizens allowed to vote on their next president? In fact, 500 randomly select citizens would, IMO, do a better job of representing the citizenry because they would be a true cross-section of the general public. Every sub-group of citizens would be fairly represented in the council, and with preliminary courses in critical thinking, I would trust their decisions much more than the current highly politicised mess.

Bill

Reportedly she is a Democrat, appointed to the job by the current administration, and a substanial campaign contributor. (I’ll try and find a cite.)

If this is true then she has a personal and financial interest in the decision. Exactly the reason she should recuse herself.

jshore, I don’t recall you raising any fuss when Jeb Bush recused himself from his constitutionally authorized position on the review board.

Southern Style, first I am confused because the judge in question is not even a “she” anyway. But, leaving that aside for the moment, I hope you can understand the subtle distinction between being one of the candidate’s brothers and being a member of one of the candidate’s parties! What are they supposed to do, search around for a judge who is a member of the Greens or Reform party? I mean, get real here!!! Last time I looked, nearly everyone in this country was not closely related to one of the two candidates in this election!

P.S.—For what it is worth, I read in the mainstream media that the judge in this case, while appointed by Clinton, is respected as an independent thinker by Republicans and Democrats alike. Don’t know if a similar statement can be made about the Florida Secretary of State whose ruling has effectively superceded his.

AP is now reporting that Broward County has abandoned their hand-count because the difference was too small after 3% were counted. Volutia (sp?) county finished their hand count, and the difference was only two votes. That leaves Dade and Palm Beach county, which wasn’t nearly as heavily Gore as Broward was.

There’s a good chance that the deadline tomorrow will stand - legal experts are saying that the language of the statute is pretty clear and airtight. That means Dade can’t finish anyway. And if the deadline IS overturned, it’s doubtful that Gore can pick up enough votes to win, especially considering the absentee ballots are expected to go heavily for Bush.

That leaves the ‘Buchanan Votes’, but that seems like a real longshot to me. I can’t imaging anyone allowing a re-vote of just that county, nor can I see anyone arbitrarily awarding any of those votes to Gore.

If I were betting on this election, I’d put 5-1 on Bush.